Your greatest british india coin

Started by The Oracle, October 02, 2012, 09:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Oracle

Only one coin please the greatest british india coin that you own or have ever owned.  post pictures here. 

asm

Quote from: The Oracle on October 02, 2012, 09:39:56 AM
.......the greatest british india coin that you own or have ever owned.
How do you define greatness w.r.t coins? Age / Weight / metal / rarity / importance? I am confused??????????

Amit

"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Figleaf

After considerable anguish, as I have many preferred British Indian coins, I chose the 1/16th rupee KM 423, only to find out that the coin didn't photograph well. So here is its big brother, KM 424, 1/8th rupee. Still not showing its full glory, but much better.

What I like about this coin is that the design is completely moghul in character, completely British in execution. It captures the elegance and good taste of India and adds machinery for a protective edge, a full rendition of the die, regular planchets and coins with the same design in several sizes (the 1/16th rupee is only 10 mm, but has the same level of detail), scaled without a hitch. This coin combines the best of two worlds and looks unfamiliar to both worlds as a consequence.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

The Oracle

Quote from: asm on October 02, 2012, 10:28:31 AM
How do you define greatness w.r.t coins? Age / Weight / metal / rarity / importance? I am confused??????????

Amit

you get to decide its your choice completely.  you can only post one coin though.  you may take the above factors into account or a different set of parameters.  The trick is to find what you consider the showpiece coin of your collection.

My greatest indian coin was a 1904 quarter rupee and it was in AU but it was a special coin.  everyone who saw it was left speechless it was neither expensive at that time nor was it rare but i still consider it to be the greatest coin i ever owned in british india sadly i dont have any images of that coin today  :(

The Oracle

Quote from: Figleaf on October 02, 2012, 10:41:15 AM
After considerable anguish, as I have many preferred British Indian coins, I chose the 1/16th rupee KM 423, only to find out that the coin didn't photograph well. So here is its big brother, KM 424, 1/8th rupee. Still not showing its full glory, but much better.

What I like about this coin is that the design is completely moghul in character, completely British in execution. It captures the elegance and good taste of India and adds machinery for a protective edge, a full rendition of the die, regular planchets and coins with the same design in several sizes (the 1/16th rupee is only 10 mm, but has the same level of detail), scaled without a hitch. This coin combines the best of two worlds and looks unfamiliar to both worlds as a consequence.

Peter

well done Peter.  Very informative. 

Abhay

My greatest British India coin has to be this Heavy Weight George V Rupee Coin.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Prosit

My British India coin collection consists of exactly 8 very common circulated coins. I like every one of them.
Someday maybe I will get an oportunity to work on them but can't do everything all at once.
Greatest?  They all are at this point.
Dale

Harry

To steal a quote from Bhushan (@PeaceDB)  from a different topic:
Quote from: PeaceBD on July 24, 2012, 05:47:09 PM
You are asking me to choose between my kids. ;) Not an easy question to answer.

However,  I would say my 1861 ½ Pice pattern is my “greatest British India” coin (so far). 

When the British Government formally took over administration of India from the East India company it commissioned a new design of British India coinage to replace the East India Co coinage.  This coin was designed by L. C. Wyon, the chief engraver  of the [British] Royal mint the coin and was produced as part of a full set of silver and copper dated 1861 and struck as proof. Pridmore designates these as patterns.  Some modifications were made to the design and these coins were produced for circulation in 1862.  This design remained largely unchanged up until the end of the Victoria reign 1900.   

Collector of British India, Straits Settlements, Malaya, East Africa coins and papermoney

dheer

My greatest British India coin is the 1862 One Rupee ... just for the simple reason, its the oldest coin that I have ... nope i still havent figured out the exact variety this coin is [As I understand there are more than 50 varities of this coin minted over the years] ... will try to get some snaps later this week ...
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

$$

Many but this one i choose

1840 Coin QV

Samir
S
  S
     S

PeaceBD

As Harry quoted me from another topic its a very hard question to answer. But I a thrilled to see the response to this thread. I suggest we also mention why we consider these coins best from our collection.
The coin I am going to post is indirectly a BI coin. I consider it to be one of the best in my collection due to its quality, beauty and rarity.

Thanks
Bhushan

Mackie

I just have 2 silver British India coins of which my favorite is UNC George VI 1943 1/2 Rupee that I bought in April this year.  :)
Warm Regards,
Mackie

Md. Shariful Islam

I have a few british india rupees but none is that great as I can discuss here. But yes one is great to me. I have a chapter of contemporary fakes. And this fake is really really special to me. This one is my greatest BI rupee which had had circulations during British period and now is captured and has received the sentence to my coin album as contemporary fake british rupee.

Islam

FosseWay

I can't compete with the high grade coins posted by others, I'm afraid, and most of my older BI coins are well-used. So my choice is for different reasons. This Victoria rupee was given to me by my grandfather, along with an assortment of other old coins, when I was eight, and as such is probably the first Indian coin I owned. Certainly the first East India issue, at any rate. I don't know where he got it from, but I've always imagined that it had been with him all his life. His parents met and married in India and his older sister was born there. He was born in England but the family returned to India soon after his birth. His father then contracted appendicitis and died, leaving his wife to bring two small children back to England and then look after them on her own. I imagine that the coin was a keepsake of the family and was passed from my great-grandmother to my grandfather, and then to me.