News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Unrealised Mauritius set by David Cornell

Started by <k>, September 21, 2012, 08:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

In the 1970s Mauritius gave serious consideration to updating its circulation coin designs, as you can see from this topic:

Mauritius: 1970s proposal for new circulation coin designs

The Royal Mint (Britain) was involved in these discussions, but interestingly, the Franklin Mint was too. Sadly, the plans came to nothing, and Mauritius kept its existing design series. Fortunately, however, David Cornell, a former artistic director of the Franklin Mint, as well as a numismatic artist and sculptor too, kept a record of the sketches he made for this project. He has kindly given me his permission to present images of his sketches here, and I am honoured to be able to do so. Mr Cornell designed many coins in his career, but his best known design is probably the portrait of Diana, Princess of Wales, that appeared on the UK memorial five pound coin of 1999.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Mauritius 1c-ptn.jpg

One cent.

<k>

Mauritius 2c-ptn.jpg

Two cents.

<k>

Mauritius 5c-ptn.jpg

Five cents.

<k>

Mauritius 10c-ptn.jpg

Ten cents.

<k>

Mauritius ¼ rupee-ptn.jpg

Quarter rupee.

<k>

Mauritius ½ rupee-ptn.jpg

Half rupee.

<k>

Mauritius 1 rupee-ptn.jpg

One rupee.

<k>

Mauritius 25 rupee-ptn.jpg

25 rupees.

<k>

Mauritius 50 rupee-ptn.jpg

50 rupees.

<k>

This would have made a fine thematic set, much preferable to the designs of the standard circulation set, which in the 1970s consisted mainly of the denominations alone.

Click on the link below to access Mr Cornell's own web site:

David Cornell

Figleaf

I love the 1 for what would have been a subtle 3d effect on the coin. I like the joke with the t on the two (but I would have liked the 2 free for faster reading.) The swordfish on the 50 and the dodo (?) on the 25 are nice, but the birdie collection gives me a saccharine Franklin Mintish taste in the mouth. Above all, it's great fun to see these designs here and think about what might have been. Thank you and David Cornell.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Quote from: Figleaf on September 21, 2012, 10:54:20 PM
the birdie collection gives me a saccharine Franklin Mintish taste in the mouth.

Peter

That's rather unfair, but then we know your views about Franklin, which I think have prejudiced your take on these sketches. Bear in mind that they did do REAL circulation sets: Trinidad + Papua New Guinea come to mind. And Mr Cornell's birds are not "saccharine" but instead are detailed and anatomically correct: the sparrows rival those found on South African coins, and the dodo design is superb in its detail. The bird on the half rupee in particular is depicted in an alert and lifelike position, so Mr Cornell has done his homework. There is plenty to enjoy, I find.

Afrasi

I like the sketches. Mauritius has not so much Tower Bridges and Arcs de Triumph. The Central Bank Buildings are boaring. The cultures on this state are very different using 26 different languages. All are watching each other, if the others are favoured uniliterally by the government ... So animals!

It is always fun to see how designers do their artistic work on very limited space - some kind of minimal art.

Sir George

Quote from: Afrasi on September 28, 2012, 10:42:51 PMThe cultures on this state are very different using 26 different languages. All are watching each other, if the others are favoured uniliterally by the government ...

Hello afrasi.:
You're absolutely right with this. Absolutely.!
 A little addition.: Mauritius got a Tour Eiffel.

Tour Eiffel.jpg