News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

Triangular coins

Started by Figleaf, January 30, 2009, 07:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Here's a triangular coin I like. It even has a wrecked ship. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

The Cook Islands' $2 coin was triangular (with rounded edges, to avoid injury ...)

I believe it circulated, though how much in practice rather than theory I don't know.

Bimat

Quote from: translateltd on January 30, 2009, 08:54:32 PM
The Cook Islands' $2 coin was triangular (with rounded edges, to avoid injury ...)

I believe it circulated, though how much in practice rather than theory I don't know.

Yes,the coin was minted for circulation,but it is rerely found in circulation as it has become popular among collectors worldwide !
Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

I think collecting only triangular coins as a theme would be a very restricted one,since there are very very few issues of such coins(In-fact,I know only these two).A better option would be to collect odd shaped coins (coins other than circular shaped).This will be a fantastic thematic collection.Of-course,most of the odd shaped coins are proof coins (except the square shaped) with low mintage,it will involve a large investment.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Quote from: chrisild on January 30, 2009, 07:18:11 PM
Well, that "pyramid" coin is basically a triangular one.
http://www.pobjoy.com/ukworld/shopimages/sections/thumbnails/tut_pack_779x521.jpg

Interesting design, but a pyramid? I'm missing one dimension here. ;)

Christian
Hi Christian,
The forth dimension in this coin is hidden one  ;D

Aditya

paddyirish

I picked up a number of triangular coins on a week long holiday to the Cook Islands.  I think they were pretty commonplace.

Figleaf

There are not many triangular coins because a) they are harder to produce, since there are only three correct positions for a planchet about to be struck, while a round planchet has an infinite number of correct positions b) they are more difficult to process in automatic vending machines for the same reasons. The more sides a coin has, the less of a problem these are.

As honest tokens generally strive to be different from current coins, there are many more triangular tokens than coins. Likewise, tokens are more often square with rounded corners or holed.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Slovakia has also issued triangular 500 Korun coin in proof sets few years ago.But I haven't seen its image anywhere..

Aditya

chrisild

At the mint's website, there is an image of the 5000 SK coin. http://www.mint.sk/img/vyroba_mince3.png Same theme (New Millennium, 2001), same shape I think, but colored and with some kind of inlay. The 500 SK piece is a silver coin; this one is silver with bits of gold and platinum:

In 2004 they made a pentagon shaped coin, by the way. Bimetallic ... palladium-gold. ::)

Christian

Bimat

Hi Christian,
The Slovakian triangular coin is pretty cool one but Paladium-Gold bimetallic.. :o I can't even imagine..Collectors really buy these kind of coins?

Aditya

chrisild

Yes, I guess (or fear) so. The triangular 5000 SK piece had a mintage of 8000 and (according to the Schön catalog) costs about €600; the pentagonal 10,000 SK had a mintage of "max." 7,200 and a price of €480. So while there may not be that many people who want them, their number is apparently high enough to make such issues profitable ...

Christian

Figleaf

I am sure engipress will let you look at his coins as long as you wish if you promise not to drool on his coins ;) Meanwhile, here's a coin for you to share. :)

Peter

dheer

On a serious note, Is that a real coin? the shape is quite different and design looks good.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Figleaf

It is a pseudo coin. Available far above face value only. Bermuda has issued a slew of triangular coins, starting from 1996, only 2 of which are in Cu-Ni (KM 95 and 104.)

Peter

Abhay

I have only one Triangular Coin - 2 Dollar from Cook Islands.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY