News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Ancient looking European coin

Started by capnbirdseye, June 26, 2012, 08:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

This looks rather ancient,  date is unreadable looks like  ***8

weight  4.38g   AE25
Vic

Figleaf

Southern Netherlands, Oord/liard 1586 (?) Tournai/Doornik, Vanhoudt I326

obv: crowned bust in collar left - PHilippvS.Dei:Gratia.HISPaniarvm.Z.REX.COmitvs.TORNAcvm 86 (?) - Philip by the grace of god king of Spain etcetera count of Doornik
rev: simplified crowned Habsburg arms (Austria, Burgundy, Valois, Brabant, heart shield Flanders) - .DOMINVS.MIHI.ADIVTOR. - I have made god my helper.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

capnbirdseye

Thanks Peter, another ancient coin from the Netherlands, I wonder where I got them from, I think the date on mine is upside down below the bust, looks like it ends with an 8
Vic
Vic

THCoins

Sorting a bit through my Dutch coppers. Added a similar Oord in the name of Philips II.
This one is of about the same year (1589) as the previous but struck in Maastricht (Southern Netherlands) as indicated by the
star between the numbers of the year.

By the way, the attribution of the previous coin to Doornik seems correct. But the line drawing shown seems to be not of Doornik but of Antwerp (hand mintmark) ?

Figleaf

Indeed, the drawing is of a coin struck in Antwerp, as the legend (DVX.BRA) also indicates. Your Maastricht coin's legend ends the same way. This is a consequence of the battle of Worringen, 300 years before, that added Limburg to Brabant and made Duke John of Brabant so famous they named a beer after him. Presumably, the report that he made the speech that inspired his army standing on a beer barrel and reports that he had a healthy liking of singing and beer had something to do with the design of the label :)

Today, Limburg and Brabant are separate provinces of the Netherlands again and Maastricht is once more Limburg, but you wouldn't know it from these coins ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.