News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Lebanon 500 livres 2000, coin and medal alignment?

Started by milkshakespeare, April 15, 2012, 04:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milkshakespeare

I just found out that I have two Lebanese 500 livres coins dated 2000. I was about to toss the other one to the box of doubles, but I happened to notice that they are in fact different! The other one has a perfect medal alignment and the other one has its back upside down, like my other Lebanese coins.

There was no information to be found from either of my newer world coin catalogues. Does it indicate a different mint, or is one of them perhaps a fake or an error? Otherwise they seem to be identical.

Gerhard Schön

Quote from: milkshakespeare on April 15, 2012, 04:31:47 AMDoes it indicate a different mint?

The 500 Livres dated 2000 were produced at the Monnaie de Paris.

Figleaf

Therefore, one of your two coins is the result of die rotation. My 1996 copy has (↑↓) rotation. In view of Murphy's law, I presume that is the normal alignment.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

milkshakespeare

Thank you both for your replies. I suspected it could be just a die rotation, but it confused me a bit because the die rotations I usually find are not aligned as neatly as this one.

Figleaf

It all depends on the press. In the most modern presses, the die can only be mounted in one position. Die rotation is still possible if the die is badly mounted are loosening itself, though, but the rotation would not be large.

In older presses, dies can be mounted in two or four positions. A wrongly mounted die will give a 90° or 180° die rotation.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.