Maratha confederacy KM 267 - paisa Satara mint

Started by Figleaf, December 07, 2007, 11:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

My notes say Satara? (a Maratha state), but there's no reference number. Would you experts venture an opinion?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

Hi Peter,
I like coins that carry with it a special name; yours is a Shivarai.  Km 267. 1750. 
Struck in the name of Chhatrapati, a name I can pronounce correctly but shouldn't after any meal infused with garlic.  :D
I wonder how many varieties there are?  And we know who might have the answer to that question. 
Richie

Figleaf

That's pretty magnificent, Rangnath. My hat's off to you and I'd bow if that wouldn't make me topple over. What's bugging me a little is that the coin is 9.4 grams, while KM claims it should be 14 - 15 grams (sorry for forgetting to mention the weight). Maybe this type was struck for a long period, in which it gradually lost weight (people generally do the opposite). It's too heavy for a half paisa, it seems to me. Other than that, the match is just perfect and I'm left wondering how often I've overlooked that picture in KM...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

Yes, that bugs me too.  I also have a Shivarai the same weight as yours.  So what gives?  In the Fitzwilliam Museum, all of their "Shivarai" paisas are within the weight tolerance that yours and mine share.  None weigh what the catalog of world coins indicates.  That suggests that the catalog is either wrong, or that the weight tolerance was even more varied than the museum samples would suggest. 

Richie