Error: extra metal

Started by nomadbird, May 21, 2011, 11:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nomadbird

Hi All,

I got this coin in circulation and found a small amount of metal extra below the Horse. Is it an error ?

Thanks
Nirmal
Thx
Nomadbird

nomadbird

So all the experts here have no answers?
Thx
Nomadbird

Md. Shariful Islam

I am a newbie... Despite interested to know whether the color of the metal of the coin and the extra metal same or close look reveals at least minor difference. Is the edge of the  extra metal sufficiently smooth...

Islam

nomadbird

The color is exactly the same....

Thanks
Thx
Nomadbird

Md. Shariful Islam

I am waiting for the experts' comments and hope that it is an error...

Islam

Figleaf

Gentlemen, I have to work for a living and I was away for a few days.

This looks like the result of an improperly cleaned die to me. I have a similar effect on a euro coin somewhere, but no time to look it up right now (leaving on business again on Monday.)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

I think it is what is refered to in the US as a cud.

A cud is a damaged area resembling a blob on the surface of a coin which is raised above the field a little, and which obliterates the device or inscription where it appears. Cuds are the result of die cracks which have become severe, or from die chips where part of the die surface has become damaged and broken away.

Dale

Figleaf

Dale is right. I saw the blob as incuse (in the coin) not en relief (on top of the coin). I also found the euro coin struck with a filthy die. It is no longer relevant, but since I already scanned it, here it is.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

I think it is relevant, either take something away from the die or add something to it.  To me they are brother and sister errors.

Congratulations to both of you on the interesting coins!

Dale

Coinsforever

Quote from: nirmalkumar on May 21, 2011, 07:02:53 PM
So all the experts here have no answers?

Dear Nirmal ,

BTW What is denomination of the coin ? ,

I guess metal is Cu- Ni either Rs5.00 or Rs 2.00 coin , I too  Rs.5 coins of Cu-Ni with such extra metal /cud/incuse etc on it. (both Obverse & Reverse side)

Cheers ;D

Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

nomadbird

Quote from: aan09 on May 22, 2011, 01:08:36 AM
Dear Nirmal ,

BTW What is denomination of the coin ? ,

I guess metal is Cu- Ni either Rs5.00 or Rs 2.00 coin , I too  Rs.5 coins of Cu-Ni with such extra metal /cud/incuse etc on it. (both Obverse & Reverse side)

Cheers ;D

Bull's eye ...... its  a 5 rupee Cu-Ni
Thx
Nomadbird

nomadbird

Thanks Dale & Peter for helping me on understanding this. I have separated this coin as CUD error and saved it for future :)
Thx
Nomadbird

Prosit

If you choose to collect this type of error, an impressive collection and be assembled fairly easily.  Cuds can occupy a minor part of a coin's surface or can be quite large. The larger they are, generally the more they are worth.

I have owned several impressive cuds but do not remember ever finding one in circulation.  That would be great fun!

Dale

SpaBreda

Here are some examples I picked up from circulation :

http://www.spabreda.nl/eurofinds2.jpg

It's a big picture ....

nr.1 Extra metal around the top edge
nr.2 Looks like a die crack, resulting in some extra metal
nr.3 Lump of extra metal below the date
nr.4 Extra metal in and around the 4
nr.5 Extra metal in and around the 4
(These are all fom Luxembourg ... ? )
nr.6 Big die crack (have seen the exact same one being sold on an MPO auction for €25 !)
nr.7 An off-centre strike
nr.8 Partially filled 2nd 0 in 2002
nr.9 (my favorite) Extra "hair" on the queen's head (something she isn't know for ...  :D)
nr.10 twice extra metal near the edge
nr.11 Once near the edge, and once on the edge of the oak leaf
nr.12 (Luxembourg again) blurred digits (extra metal under them ...)

An advantage of being a date-collector ... you give even the most common coins a close look :D

Paul.

nomadbird

Hey Paul,

That's an impressive lot

NIrmal
Thx
Nomadbird