Die Variety: Rs 1 1989 Nehru Lion Variety

Started by paisepagal, April 10, 2011, 01:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paisepagal

Hi Folks,

As far as I know, no catalogue has mentioned this variation ashoka lion (mule) so far. I had found one of these years ago... and fortunate enough to find one more last evening in my pocket change! Which makes me think now that enough of these were minted that what I had wasn't a one-off.
I'm uploading photos of the variation coin (left) vs the normal type (right). Both are Bombay mint. Though frankly, it is a bit hard for me to point out the exact differences in terms of dimensions, the lions are very  much different when you examine them upclose physically. Maybe you will notice that the base of the lion pillar on the left coin is curved compared to the more angular base of the pillar on the right. The best way I can explain is that the variation lion is akin to the one on the Re.1 Ambedkar 1990, while the normal version is similar to that of the Re.1 Rajiv Gandhi 1991.

Coinsforever

Quote from: paisepagal on April 10, 2011, 01:02:50 PM
Hi Folks,

As far as I know, no catalogue has mentioned this variation ashoka lion (mule) so far. I had found one of these years ago... and fortunate enough to find one more last evening in my pocket change! Which makes me think now that enough of these were minted that what I had wasn't a one-off.
I'm uploading photos of the variation coin (left) vs the normal type (right). Both are Bombay mint. Though frankly, it is a bit hard for me to point out the exact differences in terms of dimensions, the lions are very  much different when you examine them upclose physically. Maybe you will notice that the base of the lion pillar on the left coin is curved compared to the more angular base of the pillar on the right. The best way I can explain is that the variation lion is akin to the one on the Re.1 Ambedkar 1990, while the normal version is similar to that of the Re.1 Rajiv Gandhi 1991.

Sorry to disappoint you , my personal opinion is no difference.

Case is similar to this thread where different opinions posted by most of members.

SCWC has listed 2 varieties of this coin.

KM # 83.1 & 83.2 

For KM# 83.2  Lion pedestal are different than KM # 83.1 , Lion pedestal of KM 83.2 are similar to KM # 90.

If you have below  coin KM # 90  you can compare with your coins  to check further .

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

andyg

Is it just my eyes or do the two right hand lions look quite different?
recut dies maybe?
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

kansal888

Frankly speaking, I could not find any difference from the scan.

Since SCWC has accepted two varieties, I must seek an appointment with a good opthalmologist for an eye checkup..

Maybe if you actually hold the coin in your hand, you are able to find minor differences.

The Oracle

Quote from: paisepagal on April 10, 2011, 01:50:55 PM
Hehe no worries. ... You're not the first. But it's readily apparent. I pride myself that I'm seasoned enough to spot something is "off" when I have a coin in my hand. I know the photo won't help my case. The Oracle has seen the coin personally to agree with me. Perhaps some other mumbaikars could meet up with me and perhaps give a thumbs up to my case :-D

well at least someone doesnt want to sweep my opinion under the carpet

africancoins

These two pieces are both 1989(B) Nehru 1 Rupee coins - obverses only are shown.

I have notes on this from someone from a few years ago - to say that it is KM-90 that the KM-83.2 obverse is a match for and that the "mule" once listed as KM-A85 needs to be deleted from the listings. The current SCWC book is correct with regard to both of these points.

My notes also state further detail on the differences between the obverse of KM-83.1 and the obverse of KM-83.2

Note:
wider 1mm space between 1 and inscription above
thinner lettering of "INDIA" compared to KM-83.1

Looking at my pieces I would say...

KM-83.1
space between 1 and inscription above is nearly half a millimetre
almost horizontal angle to underside of the serif on the 1

KM-83.2
space between 1 and inscription above is nearly one millimetre
steeper angle to underside of the serif on the 1
thinner lettering to "INDIA" particularly looking at the "IN" and the "A"
some parts of the rest of the main legend appear to be thinner
different relief to mouth space of side lions
less relief to fur rows on side lions
different relief to all legs of lions

Unfortunately the details seem to have been lost from the mouth of the central lion and of the wheel on my sample of KM-83.2

I will have a KM-90 somewhere but have not done an image. Maybe someone can have a look at let us all know if the obverse of their KM-90 is a match for the obverse of my KM-83.2

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

nomadbird

The bull is also very lean(probably not fed :)) in the 83.2
Thx
Nomadbird

Coinsforever

Quote from: nirmalkumar on April 11, 2011, 10:14:40 AM
The bull is also very lean(probably not fed :)) in the 83.2

Need to feed meat regularly  or multivitamins

Cheers ;D

nomadbird

Quote from: aan09 on April 11, 2011, 06:09:14 PM
Need to feed meat regularly  or multivitamins

Cheers ;D

Bul wont eat meat :)   lol :)
Thx
Nomadbird

andyg

Quote from: nirmalkumar on April 11, 2011, 08:01:18 PM

OT : That's how BSE (a sheep disease) got into cows in the UK, farmers feeding dead sheep to them. :o
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

sekharkausik

Dear Paisepagal ,

Hats off to you for your keen observation. Yes, You are absolutely correct. I have checked with the coins I have in my collection and the difference in the Lions exists, and  is descernable only to the keenest observer.

Thanks,  Sekhar Kausik

kansal888

Thanks Nirmal for your comments on bull

Coinsforever

Quote from: nirmalkumar on April 11, 2011, 08:01:18 PM

Dear,

I've commented for Lion to feed meat  , Not the lean Bull ;D

Cheers :)

kansal888

If Lion is not happy even after eating the bull, he can have the horse for the dinner

Coinsforever

Quote from: kansal888 on April 13, 2011, 05:24:33 PM
If Lion is not happy even after eating the bull, he can have the horse for the dinner

After enjoying horse   :-*, Lion would run away due to "Horse power". ::)

Cheers