Portuguese colonial? (India?)

Started by andyg, February 18, 2010, 12:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Another mystery coin,

This one is 4.8g, 15.5mm and silver.

Figleaf

Neither the arms, nor the cross match anything used on Portuguese or Portuguese colonial coins. I'll keep searching.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

Thanks Peter,

As regards India there are some very crude coins from Bacaim and Damao which (in a good light) may be considered not too dissimilar.

lusomosa

Hi guys,

It is not Portuguese at all and at the moment I have no idea. I'll search arround...

LP

RVCOINS

I have the feeling that this is a local silver imitation of the gold spanish cobs from the reverse side.

I think we have to search for a spanish colonial country/city corresponding with the arms on the obverse side.

I shall have look in Battenberg 10.000 coat of arms to see  if I can find this one.

regards

Roland   

Figleaf

I think RV has a point. It looks like it could have been a weight, to be used on a balance to check gold escudos. The coin would be put on one scale, the weight - with a sketchy pattern of the coin, so that the money changer would know which coins the weight was meant for - on the other. Such weights came in a boxed set with the balance. The problem with this theory is that the weights were usually squarish and brass, but it could have come from a luxury set. More serious is that the escudo was supposed to weigh 3.6 grams, not 4.8.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

CHANDIOK

Hello Friend

I am sure this is not Portuguese India coin at all.

Quote from: andyg on February 18, 2010, 12:15:09 AM
Another mystery coin,

This one is 4.8g, 15.5mm and silver.

jardineiro

Portuguese currency is not, nor of the Portuguese colonies.
The cross and the crest is not Portuguese.