Author Topic: Dinar, Umayyads, 113AH?, Damascus  (Read 5782 times)

Offline lightning

Dinar, Umayyads, 113AH?, Damascus
« on: March 10, 2011, 05:47:47 PM »
I cannot post picture of coin Is 65  kb the largest vattachment size?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:24:36 AM by Figleaf »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Gold coin
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 05:50:23 PM »
Yes, maximum allowable file size is 65kb.

You can download a free photo editor here : http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

And resize & compress your photo to 65kb..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline lightning

Re: Gold coin
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 12:14:33 AM »
Thank you for your help. Photo editing is new to me. I managed to resize but lost clarity. Anyways, here goes! It is US penny size.

Offline alglasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 01:38:16 AM »
Well, I'll take the opportunity to show my ignorance...I BELIEVE it is Arabic, one of the many nations, and judging by the appearance being somewhat crude, I would say it is an early piece...1700s??? Is there any chance we could see a scan of the other side...that way I can PROVE my ignorance of early Arabic coins. Heck...if I'm going to screw up...I might as well do it royally!!  :-X

Alan

Offline lightning

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 01:47:37 AM »
Here is other side. Thanks

Offline alglasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 01:55:04 AM »
Kinda' tiny there, lightning. Can you blow it up a bit. If I can't identify (which I probably can't) there are some pretty sharp guys on here that I bet can.

Alan

Offline lightning

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 01:59:30 AM »
I am not familiar with compression , just trying to resize to get it to a small file size. Try this view.

translateltd

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 02:02:40 AM »
If it's genuine, it's a lot older than the 1700s - probably 8th-10th century.  A sharper image is needed, though, to make any sense of it.  Richard Plant's book on reading Arabic coins is an invaluable aid to deciphering these, as they usually contain the date written out in words.

Offline lightning

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 02:14:14 AM »
Thank you all for your help. This coin belonged to my grandfather. I have had it for 40 years and I am determined to find out what it is. I am pretty sure it is gold as it is heavy and has never tarnished. You mentioned other sources to search. I will try to find these books. Can you suggest a source to send a picture to that I can use a bigger file. No one that I have showed it to can even recognize the language.

akona20

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 02:34:31 AM »
Try the following site for identification

http://islamiccoins.ancients.info/

Offline alglasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 03:04:23 AM »
translateltd...

thanks for rescuing me on that arabic gold piece. I agree...it could be much older than my estimate...I did find very similar looking pieces in the 1601-1700 and 1701-1800 SCWC, but I defer to you as you are much more knowledgable on the subject. Thanks.  Alan

translateltd

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 03:11:39 AM »
No one that I have showed it to can even recognize the language.

It's Arabic, but the legends round the outside are written in Kufic script, which unhelpfully leaves off most of the dots above and below the letters, which are essential to reading them, unless you already have a pretty good idea what they're meant to say.

translateltd

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 03:15:20 AM »
Can you suggest a source to send a picture to that I can use a bigger file.

If you use the Photoscape program mentioned above, you can crop and resize your original picture to suit.  I normally select 400 pixels wide, then use "Save As" to save the cropped/resized picture under a new name, and use the "Quality" slider to reduce the quality of the image and thus also its size to below 65kb.  You can get quite large and clear pictures that way that will meet the 65kb restriction.

If all else fails, send me a copy directly at martin_lists@yahoo.com (but do try Photoscape first - it's a very useful tool).

Offline lightning

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 04:01:11 AM »
Now I am becomming very interested! I am not very computer savvy , I will eventually get photoscape figured out but I am in a mild flooding situation with power going out and loosing computer ( penn. USA). I will email pic before loosing power again.

translateltd

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 04:38:04 AM »
Some larger and hopefully clearer images posted on behalf.  I don't have time this afternoon to check Plant, unfortunately, but hopefully one of our Indian colleagues may be able to help with the script.