Author Topic: Getting "actual size" scans  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
Getting "actual size" scans
« on: March 04, 2011, 03:39:09 PM »
Hello, everyone.

I continue in my endeavors to scan unlisted coins and submit photos to Numismaster. I think I finally have the scanning and putting in an e-mail down (it was requested that I send actual photos and not the "language"), but is there an easy way to scan and get actual size photos? I have to keep shrinking and shrinking to get the right size (all the time holding the coin to the scan on the screen to make sure it's a perfect match) and then sending it to an e-mail. Each coin must take about 20 minutes. I have a PC, using Photo Bucket and cutting/pasting from the picture on the editing program to the e-mail, then shrinking. There has to be an easier way.

Also, with Image Shack, how do I get the DPI information NOT to appear on the scans?

As you might gather, I flunked computer 101...twice...but I'm determined and really want to help out with pictures of coins I have that are not or missing photos in Numismaster. HELP!!!!!

Many thanks.

Alan

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
Re: Getting "actual size" scans
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 06:28:22 PM »
but is there an easy way to scan and get actual size photos? I have to keep shrinking and shrinking to get the right size (all the time holding the coin to the scan on the screen to make sure it's a perfect match)
Many thanks.

300 dpi is usually sufficient - the size they appear on your screen will depend on the size of monitor you have - the bigger the monitor the bigger the coin on your screen...
So if whoever at Numismater has a bigger/smaller screen than yourself then your images won't be the correct size.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 06:36:04 PM »
AndyG

Thank you for the note.

I couldn't figure out WHY my images were coming out too big. It's nice to know that I wasn't making some dumb mistake somewhere...or not making a right selection to get the accurate image size. so, I guess I'll keep shrinking and matching coins to the image in the screen before I send them to numismaster. Lots of steps, lots of time...but still fun!

Alan

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 06:41:05 PM »
so, I guess I'll keep shrinking and matching coins to the image in the screen before I send them to numismaster. Lots of steps, lots of time...but still fun!

but that will make things worse not better, when Krause run them through whatever imaging software they have they will come out the other end reduced in size.  All you need to do is set your scanner at 300 dpi and send them...

edit - assuming that your scanner is set to 100% output size.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 06:48:20 PM »
Hello again, AndyG

So if I figure out how to set my scanner to 300 dpi (which I do) and 100% output size, that will save me all the grief in reducing and editing?! I don't know how to do that (set for 100%) but I will see if I can figure it out.

Many thanks!!   Alan

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 06:59:02 PM »
try printing out your scan - if you have things right it will print to the same size as the coin.
I just tried this one - 300dpi scanned using MSPaint

It prints to the right size - but it looks a lot bigger on the monitor (it's 27mm)

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:07:37 PM »
Hi, Andy.

Now I'm really confused, and thanks so much for your help by the way. So if I print at 300dpi, though the picture on the screen will appear large, when I cut/paste send the scan to the e-mail, it will be the normal size when received??? Hmmmmm...I'll try that and send one to my e-mail address and see what happens.

Alan

(Yes...i AM hopeless when it comes to computers!!)

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 08:22:17 PM »
Hi, Andy.

Now I'm really confused, and thanks so much for your help by the way. So if I print at 300dpi, though the picture on the screen will appear large, when I cut/paste send the scan to the e-mail, it will be the normal size when received???

Not quite - it will be big on their screens too - but when printed it will be the correct size.
Try printing one of your scans - see what happens.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 09:37:08 PM »
I printed out a scan and it filled the whole page. OOOOOOPS, back to the drawing board.

Alan

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 11:24:41 PM »
I *think* if you scan actual size and print from the photo manipulation/scanning package directly, it will print actual size. The dpi figure is irrelevant in this case, as it will simply alter the definition of the image, not its size.

This is also true if you import the image into a decent typesetting/layout program that measures objects in standard linear units (i.e. millimetres or, if you must, inches), such as QuarkXPress or InDesign. Again the dpi is irrelevant to the linear size of the imported image. In other words, if you scan a 25 mm-diameter coin at 100% and import it at 100% into Quark etc., it will appear 25 mm wide on screen (at 100% view, obviously) and in print (ditto).

However, lesser programs, such as those perpetrated by Microsoft, tend to import images based on the dpi figure, automatically resizing them so that they appear on screen at 72 dpi. For a program that is intended for use only on screen, such as PowerPoint, this isn't too much of an issue, but for Word, and that abhorrent abomination to humanity that is MS Publisher, it's a right pain in the rear. You then have to resize as best you can using the rulers.

I would imagine that SCWC is typeset using a typesetting program, not a word-processing program, and that therefore if you provide an actual-size scan, they'll be able to import it at actual size.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 01:04:14 AM »
The dpi figure is irrelevant in this case, as it will simply alter the definition of the image, not its size.

Quite true - Krause ask for them at 300dpi which is why I mentioned it 8)

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 01:27:41 AM »
coffeetime and Fosseyway,

Thanks for the suggestions. Tomorrow is another day and I'll keep at it.

Anyway, I was able to submit  an obverse and reverse scan today to George, and he said they were fine. So, I know I CAN do it...I just need to find a way to do it without it taking 20 minutes per coin. But even then, it's worth it to help. I'll keep plugging.

Alan

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »
I'm sure that there are many ways of producing suitable scans.   I used to use a add-in in the software for the Epsom CX3600 scanner/printer but the add-in doesn't work with Windows 7 (64-bit).   So I've had to revise my methods.

First, on one corner of the scanner bed WHICH MUST BE CLEAN, I put a bit of card with a two-inch square hole cut in it.   This forms a "target" to keep the results about a constant size, and it is much easier to get the coin upright in that small area (rotating after scanning tends to lose definition).

Using "Windows Fax and Scan", I preview the subject, when, if necessary, I can move the coin more upright, and then move the outline of the previewed scanning area to the edges of my two-inch square.   That done, I press "Scan"

This gives me a fair scan which I then name.   I try to use "meaningful" names so a typical one might be OGB# 954 1988 £1 o (Original scan, Great Britain (KM) # 954 Obverse).   Note the space between # and 9, #1000 has no space - helps to sort your pictures into order as # 954 will then appear before #1000.   That is all done on the "Windows Fax and Scan" screen.

Now I move to "Microsoft Office Picture Manager".   I crop off some of the borders to leave a small amount of background around the coin, press OK, and then reduce size 60%, press OK.   This usually makes it under the WoC 65 KB limit.   At that stage I "Save as ..." for which I delete the O (Original) from my picture name.   Repeat with any others that you have to do.    Then close the window - a warning will appear about unsaved images.   IGNORE IT, they were "Saved as ..." CLOSE THE WINDOW NOW otherwise you will lose your Original scans!   Why keep them?   You might want to send them for inclusion in KM, in which case you only need to crop a bit off the edges to make them presentable, without reduction of size.

I reckon that KM are quite used to receiving a complete hotch-potch of illustrations.   As long as they are of good definition (I use 600dpi) and not a full A4 page in size, they will probably be able to deal with them.   I expect that they have suitable software for the job.   By using GB and # as part of the name of the picture, KM will recognise it without further renaming.

For coins, I have three folders.   Original scans (first stage above), WoC scans (after the crop and 60%) and KM scans (after crop only).

Q.E.D.

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 12:31:10 AM »
 andyg wrote: "when Krause run them through whatever imaging software they have they will come out the other end reduced in size.  All you need to do is set your scanner at 300 dpi and send them..."

Hey, andyg. Are you SURE George will accept them at "larger than life" sizes as long as they are 300dpi? That would make my life a zillion times easier...and involving much less time handling the coins...many of which are proofs...I HATE wearing those "procto-gloves".  :P

Alan...frustrated in MA