Author Topic: The real price list for USSR coins  (Read 5161 times)

Offline ciscoins

• Coins of CIS and Baltic countries
The real price list for USSR coins
« on: February 06, 2011, 02:25:30 PM »
There are lots of price lists for USSR coins. They are regularly been published by different coin dealers. And the correlation between prices for scarce and rare coins remains almost the same for 20-50 years.

But there's a problem how to read these price lists. The prices for scarce and rare coins (approximately starting with USD 10) are always buying prices. Those are the prices for which the dealers want to buy these coins from naive collectors. So these figures can be useful only to see the lowest bound of the price for these coins.

The buying price for all the other coins is not higher than:
USD 20 for 1 kg of coins of 1926-1957
USD 0,5 for 1 kg of coins of 1961-1991

And the selling prices are always 1,5 - 3 times higher than it's written in the price lists.

So I've tried to convert the prices into USD and make a real price list:
http://ciscoins.net/USSR.xls

Note: scarce and rare coins from mint sets always cost 1,5 - 2 times less than coins from circulation.

-------

P.s. Why I can't attach a *.xls file here? And why the size limit is so small? 65 Kb - that's almost nothing.
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: The real price list for USSR coins
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:41:30 PM »
While I don't actively collect USSR coinage myself, that list seems quite useful to me, thanks! As for the file size, 65K is usually fine if you want to show a coin here, say in .jpg format. I always adapt the size and compression, and the results look OK, I think. Big files unfortunately "eat" a lot of storage space. But there is always the option to upload the file elsewhere and post the link, just as you did. :) Also, if it not really important to have an editable .xls(x) document, you can always create/print a PDF file and post that ...

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: The real price list for USSR coins
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 03:14:11 PM »
Christian is quite right. Some 70-80% of disk space is uploaded (not embedded) pictures and you pay for disk space. Most screens can show max 160dpi, so you can upload 1200 dpi, but it will do you no good. It will take the browser longer to display the picture and it will still display at 160dpi. Now if we are talking about enlarging, that's different, but the software we are using doesn't allow it.

Apart from the solutions Christian gave, you can turn an Excel table into a tagged table, that will take virtually no disk space, but is harder to maintain. For instructions, see here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.