Author Topic: Egyptian/Sudanese/Ethiopian Jewellery  (Read 1835 times)

Austrokiwi

Egyptian/Sudanese/Ethiopian Jewellery
« on: February 03, 2011, 04:04:43 PM »
I picked this piece up in New York last week.    It consists of a copper/or brass cast MTT, and three other coins. The seller thought it might be Egyptian or Ethiopian.    I am not really sure where it may have been made but the left most "Disk" is most intriguing, I would have dismissed it as just a decorative disk except for the edge is reeded.   The other side of this piece is blank, is it a coin or token?

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Egyptian/Sudanese/Ethiopian Jewellery
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 08:21:23 PM »
Intriguing. It looks like someone took the trouble to engrave an elaborate crown on the piece. It doesn't remind me of any counterstamp...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Austrokiwi

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 06:22:33 PM »
I  had to go back and check.... although the crown looks engraved it has actually been stamped/struck  the other side of the coin  though blank  shows the typical mark  of having been stuck with a punch.  I  don't think its a coin;  but  why go to that trouble when another coin would do?

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 09:48:09 PM »
I still think about the countermarked piece :o, but I still don't have any answer on it. :-X

But I am absolutely sure I would have bought this interesting "jewellry" too! Congratulations!  :D