News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

50p trial piece uses Britannia from a pre-decimal reverse

Started by <k>, February 01, 2011, 12:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Here is the issued 50 pence coin.

Here is Britannia as she appears on the George V halfpenny.

CoinNews-Feb2011-partpage24.jpg

As I recall, the QEII pre-decimal halfpenny depicted the Golden Hind ship.

It was the penny that portrayed Britannia.

Anyway, this article is from Coin News (UK, February 2011 edition).
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

translateltd

Quote from: coffeetime on February 01, 2011, 12:53:01 AM
Look at the "trial" design compared to Britannia on the old penny: the rightmost foot and the angle of the trident are different.

Try the 1895-1936 reverses.  The base of the trident shifted every few decades, leading to the truly awful "Honolulu penny" joke, which I refuse to repeat, though it may already be on these pages somewhere.

Figleaf

No wonder Britney is making a face. Musta hurt the honolulu.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

Never heard of it and don't understand the humor.

Dale

Quote from: translateltd on February 01, 2011, 01:15:55 AM
The base of the trident shifted every few decades, leading to the truly awful "Honolulu penny" joke,

chrisild

See here: http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/pics/pen3.html

Look at the position of the trident in the last three images (at the bottom), and then look how Britannia holds the trident on the the earlier coins. :)

Christian

translateltd

I suspect this curious anatomical reference (like Dale, I have heard it only in reference to these Victorian coins) is military in origin - I heard it from my father, who was ex-Navy, and Googling the expression "Honolulu penny" yesterday for examples of its use brought up one curious quote describing a soldier carrying his "lucky Victorian Honolulu penny", with no further comment or explanation.  The rest of the population, right up to the 1960s, when the coins were still in circulation, knew them as "Bun pennies", in reference to the way the Queen wore her hair on the bronze coins from 1860 to the mid-1890s.