News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Discussion: Info: Mahatma Gandhi coins & Notes with History

Started by Coinsforever, January 30, 2011, 02:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coinsforever

Gandhiji not only on Indian Currency notes but also on many  World /Indian coins!
Indian currency notes of the denomination Rs.5, Rs. 10, Rs. 20, Rs. 50, Rs. 100, Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000 though have different values but have one thing in common. Our 'Father of the Nation', Mahatma Gandhi's picture & watermark are on each of the Indian currency notes. Almost, everybody is very much aware of that.

Today whole Nation remembers Mahatma Gandhi on Martyrs day
PTI, Jan 30, 2006, 03.24pm IST

NEW DELHI: President APJ Abdul Kalam and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday led the nation in paying homage to Mahatma Gandhi on the occasion of his 57th death anniversary observed as Martyrs Day.

Vice President Bhairon Singh Sekhawat, Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Union Minister of State for Urban Development Ajay Maken also paid tributes to the Father of the Nation amid ceremonial honour given by the personnel of the three services by reversing their guns as buglers sounded the last post at the Rajghat.

A large number of school children, foreign diplomats, veteran Gandhian Nirmala Deshpande, Army Chief General JJ Singh, Air Chief Marshal SP Tyagi and Navi Chief Admiral Arun Prakash and a host of other dignitaries also remembered the Mahatma at his samadhi with devotional songs playing in the background.

Source :Times of India

1948,30th January Newspaper,Late Night Edition,The Star,From London

Known as Father of Nation

Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Figleaf

I understand how extremely important Gandhi is as father of modern India. However, to the rest of the world, his importance is elsewhere. His insistence on non-violence is his greatest gift to the modern world. Countries like South Africa, South Korea, the Philippines and even Russia have seen revolutions inspired by this idea of non-violence. These are in turn inspiration for others. Each of these revolutions leave us better off. It goes beyond Aquino or Mandela, it is a wake-up call for dictatorships all over the world. This is why you will find that so many other countries pay respect to Gandhi.

Yet, what makes non-violence work is the co-operation of those who control the arms, whether it was Fidel Ramos, Mikhail Gorbachev, Frederik de Klerk, Chun Doo-hwan or the British army. Think only of what happened in Beijing's Tien An Men square or what happened to the monks of Birma to realize what happens to non-violent revolutionaries if the opposition has no shame. Ghandi's appeals to fairness and justice were honoured, to the great credit of the British, just like Chun bowed out because he found himself guilty and Gorbachev recognized that communism had failed the people. I think it is in line with Gandhi's inheritance to recognize the vital contribution of the opponents of non-violent revolutions.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

Some coins devoted to Gandhi.

Equatorial Guinea KM 11, 25
India KM 42, 59, 77, 185
Liberia KM 310, 311, 312, 633
Mauritius KM 65 (on Gandhi's visit)
San Marino KM 140

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Abhay

More than coins, Gandhi can be found on STAMPS of many many nations. I have seen many collections only on Gandhi Stamps and other philatelic materials.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Bimat

For Gandhi stamps:

http://gandhistamps.com/Continents.htm

Click on the continent and then the country name. You will see Gandhi stamps from that particular country..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

mumbapuri

Quote from: Figleaf on January 30, 2011, 03:02:40 PM

This is why you will find that so many other countries pay respect to Gandhi.

Ghandi's appeals to fairness and justice were honoured, to the great credit of the British

Peter
Interesting way you put it, its a question of perception. 

nice coins. my fav is the 10rupee silver.

Figleaf

Please don't be offended, mumbapuri. I'll try to give you more perspective by telling you about the independence of my own country.

The country was inherited by the house of Habsburg. The first ruler (Charles V) was beneficial. He modernized, reorganized and was generally in touch with the people. His son (Philip II), did not stay in the country, did not speak the language lost touch with the people and was religiously highly intolerant.

A revolt started when some moderate small noblemen were beheaded on trumped-up charges. The Habsburg reaction was hyper-violent: an army went from town to town, torturing and killing the population, robbing and destroying livelihoods of those on their path. In one city, Haarlem, after a siege that had already claimed the lives of 5000 in the Habsburg army and 7000 defenders, not counting about 10 000 non-combattants that had died of cold and diseases, 1500 to 3000 people were hanged and beheaded after the city surrendered; the executioners were so tired that the rest of their victims was bound back to back and thrown in the river to drown. Again: this was just one city. I'll spare you more gruesome details. This campaign was the beginning of a war that would last 80 years. It is extremely likely, that when the country became independent, there was no one alive who had seen the beginning of the struggle. This is what violence does.

Gandhi's great and lasting achievement was to show the world how to change without violence, thereby saving many, many more lives than were lost, not only in India. However, non-violence works only with the participation of both parties. See Tien an men.

Peter

mumbapuri

Quote from: Figleaf on February 01, 2011, 12:53:07 AM
Please don't be offended, mumbapuri.
Peter
i aint offended peter. Sometimes words can mean a lot of different things, especially when those words are in a foreign language, which english is for me.

anyways i do like the 10rs mg coin.. unfortunately neither do i have one nor can i get myself to buy one with the rising bullion prices.

:)

Ukrainii Pyat

Gandhi was a little man in a loincloth that was a giant amongst men.  He single-handedly took on an empire, without casting a stone or firing a bullet - but by merely marching, fasting, and organising passive resistance.  Not only did he see to the independence of his land, but after his lifetime his methods inspired Solidarity in Poland, and the Civil Rights marchers in the South of the United States. 

QuoteWhen I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall -- think of it, ALWAYS.

When the great tyrants of the 20th century are consigned to the dustbin of history so many centuries from now, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi will be revered and remembered as a giant in humanity.

Yes indeed, one of the select few individuals whom have lived in the past millennium that is worthy of such accolades.

Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Coinsforever

Quote from: scottishmoney on February 05, 2011, 04:34:27 PM

Yes indeed, one of the select few individuals whom have lived in the past millennium that is worthy of such accolades.

Now more words  , undoubtedly he was great human who will be remembered for centuries .

Cheers ;D

Prosit

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.

Coinsforever

Another Milestone created .........

Gandhi overprint makes $205,000 World Record price for any modern stamp

The 1948 stamp is thought to be a World Record price for a modern stamp from any country

(May 19), Geneva auction house David Feldman sold a 1948 10 Rupee Mahatma Gandhi stamp of India for the incredible price of €120,000; €144,000 (US$ 205,000) when buyer's premium is included.

This is much greater than the price paid for the prized example of the 4 Annas 'Inverted Head' error, which sold at Spink in October 2010 for £105,390 ($170,500 on today's exchange rate) - at that time a world record for an Indian stamp.

Since then another example of the error has sold for €140,000 hammer price at German auctioneers Christoph Gartner. Following on from Spink's sale of an 1854 Indian issues cover for the equivalent of $183,000 in January, it's clear that this is to be a huge year for Indian philately.

David Feldman also believes that their sale represents a World Record price paid for a modern stamp from any country.

The stamp, probably the finest remaining example out of only 18 known in existence today, was issued by the Government of India as a set of 4 commemorative stamps on August 15th, 1948 as a tribute to the father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi, who was assassinated in January of the same year.

A stamp featuring Gandhi makes a fitting
Indian world record price

These were the first commemorative stamps of Independent India, and issued in 4 denominations  - 1 ½ / 3 ½  / 12 Annas, and the 10 Rupees. A set of only 100 10 Rs. stamps (in two sheets) were overprinted with "Service", making these the world's least printed stamp.

In the same auction, part of a fantastic Grand Prix winning collection of covers of Indian stamps used in Burma attracted interest from all over the world. During a tense period of bidding, the collection was sold for a total amount of €672,000 (US$ 957,000).

The results at David Feldman have shown that the market for Indian stamps and postal history is extremely buoyant, and makes an excellent opportunity for investors.

Source :paulfrasercollectibles

jnite

Gandhi Coins from my collection....
latest entry Gandhiji's return from South Africa.

Navaneeth

Quote from: jnite on March 15, 2018, 07:27:40 PM
Gandhi Coins from my collection....
latest entry Gandhiji's return from South Africa.
awesome