News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

The Revised Standard Reference Guide to Indian Paper Money

Started by UKJ, May 02, 2012, 10:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKJ

THE REVISED STANDARD REFERENCE GUIDE TO INDIAN PAPER MONEY by Kishore Jhunjhunwalla and Rezwan Razack is an updated version of the original landmark publication published in 2000.

CONTENTS / CHAPTERS OF THE BOOK:
The history of Indian bank notes dates back to 1770, when the Bank of Hindostan, a private bank situated at Calcutta issued its first banknotes of India. However, the earliest banknote known to survive is dated 1812 is by the Bank of Bengal. This book includes a comprehensive listing of all Indian banknotes since that date. The book then explores the notes of semi-Government and Presidency Banks, which functioned until 1861. The Government of India undertook the issues of banknotes in 1861 and that is when all Early, Private and Presidency Banks banknote issues ceased. The Government of India issued banknotes, which were Uniface Notes with the Portrait of Queen Victoria in 1861, and the underprint series from 1867.

The Government of India Currency Department continued to implement this task through elaborate administrative machinery, specially created to facilitate currency management and distribution. All banknotes of India were printed by the Bank of England and shipped to India for distribution. The British India banknotes of King George V were initially printed in England. In 1928, the India Security Press at Nasik became functional and took over the printing of notes from the Bank of England Press.

In 1935 the Reserve Bank of India was established and since then, it has been the only currency issuing authority and monetary agency for India. The King George VI portrait series were in circulation from 1936 till 1947. The Reserve Bank of India with the portrait series of King George V and King George VI were also Overprinted for use in Burma. The banknotes of King George VI were also Overprinted for use in Pakistan. The Revised Standard Reference Guide to Indian Paper Money deals with banknotes of this entire period till 1947.

The Indian banknotes since independence upto the current series of banknotes with the Portrait of Mahatma Gandhi are also a part of this book. These include the specialized note issues meant for use in the Persian Gulf Nations and money used by the Haj pilgrims.

The Osmania Notes of Hyderabad of 1919 – 1952 also form part of the book. The issue of banknotes by Jammu & Kashmir and the Hawala notes of Saurashtra States are also listed. The scope of this book extends beyond, and covers the issues of Indo-Portuguese notes for Goa and notes for Indo-French territories at Pondicherry.

The Cash Coupons of Indian Princely States that were printed on paper were issued to counteract the shortage of metal during Second World War. The Prisoner of War Coupons used as money by the prisoners of Anglo-Boer War 1899 - 1902, World War II and Indo-Pak War of 1971, who were interned in India are also illustrated.

The book has an entire chapter on Essays, Patterns, Proofs and Trials, which displays all the stars of Indian Banknotes that were designed but never made it for circulation. This chapter is very unique and is a result of persistent effort and research and obtaining this information along with images.

FEATURES OF THE BOOK:
- Watermarks are described with pictorial illustrations

- All security features are captured and explained.

- Life-size images are illustrated.

- The intricate details on microprint, micro lettering, micro-tint, relief underprints and motifs on banknotes are described.

- Well-researched and documented information on issue dates, types, prefix, circle of issue and signatories. Each banknote is given a Unique Type Number, which is compatible with any banknote software.

- Information on the engravers, designers and printers of the Indian banknotes.

- A4 size book, 607 pages, with more than 1500 images.

Further details on the book are available on www.currenciesandcoins.com

malj1

QuoteThe Prisoner of War Coupons used as money by the prisoners of Anglo-Boer War 1899 - 1902, World War II and Indo-Pak War of 1971, who were interned in India are also illustrated.

Does it show all of these? ...or just an illustrated few samples? It would be disappointing to buy the book to find only a brief mention as is usually the case, even with Schwan and Boling's World War II Remembered, who have only a short and unillustrated listing. I would only be interested in this section.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

UKJ

I am not sure how comprehensive the coverage on POWs is. There are 12 pages in this section, with more than 30 images. I will check with the author Mr. Kishore Jhunjhunwalla and will revert shortly with his feedback. Meanwhile I have taken pictures of a few pages and am attaching them for your reference.

malj1

Thank you, that does look interesting.
You may care to also mention to him my Indian POW notes can be seen here https://sites.google.com/site/malsbnotes/indiapow This leads to other pages such as the Boer war issues, but unfortunately no India ones.
Malcolm

UKJ

I have received feedback from Mr. Kishore Jhunjhunwalla as follows:

POW chapter no. 11 is covered in 12 pages, from 450 to 461. It covers Anglo Boer War, World War II, Central Internment Camp Ahmednagar, Internment Camp Ramnagar, Indo-Pakistan War 1971. It contains description of all known varieties, types, place of issue, denominations, etc.

Information contained in the chapter can be summarised as follows:
Section (Types mentioned, Images)
Anglo Boer War (4, 4)
World War II (43 x 9, 24)
Central Internment Camp (6, 5)
Internment Camp (4, 2)
Indo-Pakistan War (6, 2

There are many more POW coupons in the collection from where these images have been drawn. After referring to the book, if you need images of any other varieties, they can be provided through the book's co-author Mr. Rezwan Razack.

"Schwan and Boling's World War II Remembered" includes over-printed Indian money used in Burma. This is covered in chapter no. 5. 

"Schwan and Boling's World War II Remembered" also covers the Indian National Army. There was a chapter on this in the first edition of my Standard Reference Guide to Indian Paper Money as Chapter no. 14, showing 1 image and 4 type descriptions. However since there were no security features on any of the notes, it was subsequently treated as fantasy / propaganda notes and removed from the present issue. However I collect these notes and have about 12 different notes under "Azad Hind Bank" name and more than 50 different notes under "Bank of Independent" and " Good luck".  I also have 2 different varieties of 1 Rupee silver coins struck by the Indian National Army in Rangoon.

If you want any further information, images or help I will be happy to exchange the knowledge. It seems that you are a serious collector of POW coupons. I would like to share information of your collection relating to India to explore any aspect which may have been left out by us in our research.
UNQUOTE

In case you wish to communicate with him directly, you could write to Mr. Jhunjhunwalla at indianmoney@yahoo.com

Thanks.

malj1

Thank you for your efforts, it seems the book will interest me greatly.

I will write to write to Mr. Jhunjhunwalla too.
Malcolm

UKJ