Pracheen Bharatiya Mudrayen

Started by birder, March 24, 2012, 02:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

birder

I am a new member but am vastly impressed by the depth of knowledge, sincerity, commitment and willingness to share on the part of senior members.

With respect to books on Indian coins, I am disppointed that the eminent Indian Historian Professor Vasudev Upadhyay (also spelt Upadhyaye or Upadhyaya) who retired as the Head, Department of History, Patna University has not been mentioned anywhere on this forum. His books on Indian coins (the Hindi versions sell for USD 3 to USD 5 each) are legends. One of the major systematic scholars of Indian Numismatics, his rightful place should not be ignored by members of this forum. That is my humble request.

birder

The details are as follows :

Pracheen Bharatiya Mudrayen    
   by Vasudev Upadhyay           
ISBN(Hardbound):  8120823702, 9788120823709   
ISBN (Paperback):  8120823710, 9788120823716   
Price(Hardbound): 260.00 INR      (approx USD 5.2)
Price (Paperback): 160.00 INR      (approx USD 3.2)
Pages: 229   
Language: Hindi   
Year of Pub.: 2009   
Territory: Available For Sale Worldwide

The publishers are M/s Moti Lal Banarsi Das  (http://www.mlbd.com/BookDecription.aspx?id=14057)

Thanks and regards.

Figleaf

Thank you, Birder. Could you please add some words on the subject and content, the quality of the text and illustrations, the accessibility for those who do not read Nagari or even where it can be bought?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

birder

Thanks Peter.

The title Pracheen Bharatiye Mudrayen translates into "Ancient Indian Coins".

The publishers website and the availability info as well as the ISBN, cost details have been provided already. Kindly refer to the second post in this topic. I shall, in a few days, prepare a small writeup-- shall also attempt to translate some crucial passages. I do not know if I would be allowed to scan and post any material from the book. But introducing the non-Hindi non-Devanagari coin collectors to a small set of Hindi books written by vernacular experts/scholars on the subject should be an exciting challenge. It should also be a mutually rewarding exercise, I feel certain.

In fact there is a National Numismatic  Exhibition going on currently in New Delhi "Bharatiye Mudra" which translates into "Indian Coins". Tomorrow 25.3.2012 is the last day at Bhai Veer Singh Sadan, Near Gole Market, New Delhi.

Thanks and regards.

Figleaf

Quote from: birder on March 24, 2012, 10:27:15 PM
I do not know if I would be allowed to scan and post any material from the book.

I am not a lawyer and know nothing about Indian law. In most law systems, there is the equivalent of the US "fair use" clause, that permits publishing extracts (not whole books) and scans for your own work. In the context of this site, a scan or short translation seems pretty safe to me.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

birder

I found out that there is One compulsory paper on numismatics in the second year M.A. (History) course. A number of textbooks have been wriiten by the University Professors on Indian Coins through the ages.

One of the publishers has placed the text on the internet. Those interested can kindly see. I would be glad to provbide any help in translation of a particular passage/sentence if desired.

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=HJUDYfpi8iYC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false