News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Orccha Paisa, AH 1214 Ry 4X

Started by Rangnath, October 16, 2007, 10:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

I love the feel of weight to the coin: 16.8 grams and almost 22 mm across.
I feel sure that the coin is from the state of Orchha and that the catalog number is C.25.  The date seems to be 1200 AH, but perhaps that's a fixed date.  I guess I can't say for sure in which reign this coin was minted.  I do like the abundance of symbols on the coin which I guess helps us make the designation of Orccha and not the imitative coins of nearby Datia state.
Richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,it is entirely possible that the date is AH1300,as opposed to AH1200.That is a very nice coin that you have got there.

Aidan.

Salvete

When I looked at my Orchha coppers to try to sort this coin out, I was reminded that the two dots that I think you are reading as the '00' of 1200 or 1300, are in fact present on most of my coins in addition to the four digits of the date.  If you look again at the image posted by Rangnath, I seem to see two additional numerals before the two that have been read as '12' and '13' but may be '14'.  My reading is probably no better than anyone else's - and these coins are not always easy to read - but I think it is 1214, and the regnal year is 4x.  It is impossible even to guess what the full RY might be, because unmatched dates and RYs are the rule, not the exception, in this long series.  Copper coins of Datia and Orchha are not scarce, but to get them with both the date and RY clear and readable is not quite so easy.  I hope this helps a little.
Salvete.
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Rangnath

I'm delighted that you were able to tweek (perhaps) a little more information from this coin Salvete! I've made a misread of both the three/four in Persian and the meaning of what seems as a concluding series of dots following numbers several times. 
It is interesting though, that the longer that I (I'm sure that this applies to others too) do this, examine and study these hammered gems, the more that I actually am able to see. 
Anyway, thanks for looking at this one again Salvete.
richie

asm

Quote from: Salvete on January 17, 2010, 05:25:40 PM
....and these coins are not always easy to read - but I think it is 1214, ....
Salvete.
I do agree that the date looks to be 1214.
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Rangnath

Yes, I agree!  AH 1214 it is. I think I'll leave the Question Mark by the date until someone posts one of these with more of the date on the flan.
richie

asm

Richie,
The complete date is readable as you will see below.
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Salvete

Thanks, asm.  I wanted to countermark the rupee just as you have done, but I do not have the techno-svvy to attempt such complex manoevres.  Certainly, Rangnath, you can remove the '?' from the date - it is now confirmed.  If only all Datia and Orchha coins were so easy to read!
Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Rangnath

Thanks Amit and thanks Salvete.  I love clearing up ambiguity.
richie