Author Topic: Malta 2011: Constitutional History - 1849 Representatives  (Read 8081 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Malta 2011: Constitutional History - 1849 Representatives
« on: January 10, 2011, 06:12:31 PM »
This year Malta issues its first €2 commem with a country-specific theme and design. The coin is the first in a series of five pieces - to be issued over a period of five years - that commemorate major milestones in Malta's constitutional history. Mintage 430,000.

(Source: European Commission)

Some background info from the Commission's website: This first coin commemorates the election in 1849 of the first Maltese representatives to the Council of Government advising the British Governor. Malta had been a British colony since the 1814 Treaty of Paris. The centre of the coin shows a hand putting a vote into a ballot box. The words "Malta – First elected representatives 1849" are shown above.

Christian
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:59:46 PM by chrisild »

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
Re: Malta 2011: Constitutional History - 1849 Representatives
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 11:18:41 PM »
Strange!
Coins commemorating the history of a state will bear a legend in a foreign language. :o ??? :'(
I just imagine the next German commemoratives would be in Mongolian or the next Indian ones in Icelandic language!

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 11:33:20 PM »
Why? Malta is officially bilingual (Maltese and English), and I guess they did not want to use both on such a small coin. :) Now Malta could have done what Finland usually does - use hardly any words and let the design "speak". The resulting designs may be beautiful, but people (especially in other member states) may not know what the piece is about ...

Nah, the language is OK, I think. What I find a little strange is the three-dimensional effect (look at that hand) which I don't think will be possible to do on such pieces.

Christian

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 11:49:57 PM »
Le, the language is not correct in my opinion! Maltese people speak Maltese, not English! English was made a second language to facilitate trade and tourism. So the purpose of this item is clearly: It shall be sold to barranin (strangers) and shall not commorate anything for the Maltese.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 12:12:28 AM »
Le, the language is not correct in my opinion! Maltese people speak Maltese, not English! English was made a second language to facilitate trade and tourism. So the purpose of this item is clearly: It shall be sold to barranin (strangers) and shall not commorate anything for the Maltese.

I didn't hear much Maltese at all when I visited the islands a few years ago, unlike when you go to places like France or Wales.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 12:19:30 AM »
Maltese is the primary language in Malta, I suppose, but it is not the only official language.

"The national language is Maltese, which is part of the Semitic language family that includes Arabic. English is also recognised as an official language, and many Maltese also speak Italian." http://europa.eu/abc/european_countries/eu_members/malta/index_en.htm
"The official languages are Maltese and English." http://www.visitmalta.com/language

Of course they could have picked a Maltese inscription; who knows, maybe the final design will actually be different (bilingual? less text?) from this one. But I do not believe they make all those €2 in order to "sell" them to collectors or visitors only.

Christian

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 12:39:44 AM »
Yes, Maltese is the spoken language there, not English. I visited Malta several times and never heard  Maltese speaking English to each other. When I asked something, they answered in English - sure.
All Maltese understand Italian perfectly, but not SO much speak it well the same way. ;D The reason for their love of the Italian language is very simple: RAI (Italian TV) ;)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 01:41:36 AM »
Mintage 430 000, population 400 000. That makes it pretty certain that this is an export coin, though they'll probably circulate some on Malta as well.

I am not complaining, mind you. This is much better than another Vatican/San Marino/Monaco farce.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 12:22:04 PM »
Seems to be quite difficult to find the right "balance": If you make relatively few pieces of a €2 commem, people will complain about the coin being so scarce and hardly ever showing up in circulation. And if you make many (assuming that more than 1 coin per person of the population of the issuing member state is "many"), it is an export coin? As far as I am concerned, they should make even more - I would really like such commemorative coins to show up in circulation more often, and just in and around the issuing member state. :)

As for the languages, I had a look at Malta's previous issues. The lira and euro circulation coins are language neutral so to say. Some lira collector coins had Maltese texts, others had English texts; the euro collector coins issued so far seem to be "neutral". The liri banknotes were in Maltese, and so was the common €2 commem 2009. Not exactly helpful ...

Christian

Offline zarazek

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »
I too don't think that the writing should be in English. While it may be an official language of the country, the other official AND national language is Maltese and it should be used on their coins. But it's not up to me :P

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 03:12:05 PM »
Here are the themes of the five coins to be issued in the next years. According to the central bank, they will highlight the following "milestones in Malta's constitutional history":

(2011) 1849 - First Elected Representatives
(2012) 1887 - Majority Representation
(2013) 1921 - Self Government
(2014) 1964 - Independence
(2015) 1974 - Republic

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Malta 2011: Constitutional History - 1849 Representatives
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 08:14:16 AM »
Five €2 coins to mark Malta’s constitutional history
by di-ve.com - editorial@di-ve.com
Business & Finance -- 27 June 2011 -- 10:30CEST

The Central Bank of Malta organised a symposium to launch a series of five €2 commemorative coins highlighting milestones in Malta’s constitutional history.

The symposium was led by Prof. Henry Frendo and presentations on each milestone were made by Dr Sergio Portelli, Dr Albert Ganado, Prof. Joseph M Pirotta, Chief Justice Emeritus JJ Cremona and by President Emeritus Ugo Mifsud Bonnici.

The series will be issued over a period of 5 years commencing in 2011 and will represent the following milestones:

• 1849 First elected representatives (2011)
• 1887 Majority representation (2012)
• 1921 Self-government (2013)
• 1964 Independence (2014)
• 1974 Republic (2015)

The coins were designed by Ġanni Bonnici and will be produced in Circulation and Proof Quality.

A quantity of these coins will be on sale on a first-come first-served basis from the Malta Coin Distribution Centre at the main building of the Central Bank of Malta.

The 2011 coin will be available in October.

Source: DI-VE
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 11:49:53 AM »
And the prize for dullest €2 commemorative goes to.......

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 03:32:31 PM »
... Italy or Monaco this year. ;D  This Maltese design is not really great either, but at least they did not simply put a logo or two heads on the obverse.

Christian