Fake Indian colonial coins

Started by Coinsforever, December 31, 2010, 01:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coinsforever

Source :Gullak Dec 2010

These are new tooled forgeries of 1955 coins of 1 Anna and 2 Annas. The common coins of 1954 have been tooled and the 4 of the year has
been replaced by 5 from another coin making them into rare coins.
Collectors Beware!
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Patney

Figleaf

Interesting link, Patney. Maybe the blog owner should add a warning that if a coin doesn't appear in his blog, it doesn't automatically mean it is genuine. Maybe the gentleman would like to join us?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Coinsforever

That is blog of our friend Mr.Balakrushna Kar who has been registered at WOC as Beekar

His blog is interesting with lot of unique stuff for all Numismatists

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

beekar

Quote from: aan09 on January 01, 2011, 04:30:08 PM
That is blog of our friend Mr.Balakrushna Kar who has been registered at WOC as Beekar

His blog is interesting with lot of unique stuff for all Numismatists

Cheers ;D
Thank you Ajaya for your compliments.

Figleaf

Great!

Now for this numismatist, whose blog is here... Or has he been a member for the last 15 years or so also?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

repindia

Please beware of the following listing for a 1835 1/2 Rupee. The specimen is deceptively fake for new collectors and should be avoided. I am trying for sometime to report this to ebay but not successful. I will continue trying, but others too please report.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1835-Half-Rupee-British-India-William-king-/180747033153?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item2a155cda41#ht_500wt_1149

translateltd

The coin is a blatant forgery, despite the seller's "100% genuine" claim.

The drop-down menus for reporting the item to eBay don't work for me - is anyone else having more success than I am?

akona20

Please pm ME URGENTLY OUTLINING WHAT STEPS YOU HAVE TAKEN WITH eBAY TO HAVE THIS ITEM REMOVED.

brokencompass

I sent an email to the seller and the seller responded

Thanks a lot I had a doubt earlier but looking for confirmation.

- madrasmcs
My goal for 2017 is to finish finish my British India copper collection (1/4 anna, 1/2 Pice and 1/12 anna) by year and Mintmark. Any help with missing coins in BU grades is highly appreciated.
https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/MySets_Listing.aspx?PeopleSetID=130880

akona20

The seller has done the same with me. So perhaps we all have another success.

Some sellers knowingly sell fakes, others have been faked themselves and do not realise until advised.

Mackie

Without even confirming whether its genuine or fake he was selling it for 3000 bucks. I guess newbies like me should be more careful while purchasing expensive coins on ebay. Actually this one is so badly done that even a noob like me can make out that its a fake.

I was reading this article to detect counterfeit coins but all the mentioned tools in the article are only useful when you are holding the coin physically. How do I detect a counterfeit coin only through posted images?  ???

http://coins.about.com/od/caringforcoins/tp/counterfeit_coin_detection.htm
Warm Regards,
Mackie

akona20

Firstly he is selling it for just over $60 the price is in Indian Rupees.

Secondly the coin industry itself does very little to stamp out fakes and many leading dealers discourage people from taking action to stamp out the trade.

Thirdly there are some good dealers on Ebay but really you should never buy on such an auction site anything over $100 unless youi really know what you are doing. I will also advise that we have found forgeries in the stock of some of the best dealers.

There are on this site a number of world experts on various coins and a practiced eye can spot fakes or should I say forgeries from experience. However some of course are so good that you need to hold them in your hand to really cheack them out.

akona20

There was another success last night when a seller removed 2 fake gold coins.

However the really good news is that other people are now actually starting to complain about fakes either directly to the lister or to Ebay. Don't care who gets or takes the credit as it seems the ball is starting to roll. It will be interesting to see if negatives are posted in various places about the actions taken.

A lister removing coins that are fake is good progress and so is the wholesale take down by Ebay of well known fake sellers (some with over a 1000 sales) who have lost complete sites. So we will kepp vigilent and the ball rolling.