Author Topic: DE: Cash handling becomes more expensive  (Read 1623 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
DE: Cash handling becomes more expensive
« on: December 29, 2010, 01:12:56 PM »
Retailers in Germany will soon have to spend more money on ... money.

As from 1 January the national central bank will provide coins in standardized denomination-specific containers only. For a transition period the smaller "mixed" containers will still be available but at higher prices. Earlier this month specialized media such as the retail magazine "Der Handel" wrote http://www.derhandel.de/news/finanzen/pages/Bargeldversorgung-Drei-fuer-380.000_6949.html about this.

Now mainstream media like "Der Spiegel" cover it too http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/unternehmen/0,1518,736938,00.html (articles in German). Will be interesting to see whether customers who insist on paying cash will soon have to buy more than plastic users. Besides, wouldn't this be a great occasion to do away with the 1 and 2 cent coins in Germany too?

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: DE: Cash handling becomes more expensive
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 03:37:52 PM »
[rant] I remember when petrol stations could be called service stations. There'd be someone cleaning your windshield, you could check tyre pressure and adjust if necessary. Now, there is a coin box attached to the high pressure machine and if you are really lucky there is a bucket of filthy water with an unspeakable rag somewhere in the petrol station.

I remember when railway stations had ticket windows. Long lines, especially when you were in a hurry, but also all the information you need and advice on which platform to go to. Last Sunday all machines here (pop. almost 122 000) were either accepting cash only or they were out of order. The only way you can find the single shop that sells new tickets is by prolonged Googling.

I remember post offices. The last one here had 6 windows. It closed last month. It had stopped selling newly issued stamps long ago.

I remember when banks thought that their primary business was facilitating payments, not taking idiotic risk with someone else's money for the account of the tax payer. Some would actually encourage you to save. Now, the banks here refuse cash. One refused me as a business client because I didn't need credit.[/rant]

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: DE: Cash handling becomes more expensive
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 06:42:42 PM »
As for the lack of service, of course a shopkeeper would blame the customers. Either they don't come into the store at all because they buy everything online, or (even worse) they come, ask for advice, service and info ... and then buy from a web store which of course has a better price. And while it does not make much sense to blame solely the one or the other side, we are in some kind of spiral here, and it may be hard to get out of it.

As for the cost of cash handling, according to the ECB the Bundesbank's part in "cash recycling" is much higher than that of national central banks in other euro countries. Don't have any background info about that, but the Bundesbank would like to drop it from about 70% today to 50% by 2015.

Gas stations? Come to Germany, the customer service paradise. ;D  Many Shell stations (about 1,000 in DE) have "service pumps" in addition to the self-service area. An attendant will pump gas into your car, and check the oil and the wiper fluid if you ask. Costs €1 (plus the gas and whatever you need) but of course you can add a tip. Again, the problem is that getting your gas this way is a little more expensive ...

Christian