China - Chuang Lieh, 1628-1644

Started by Figleaf, December 29, 2010, 01:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

I am 85% sure that this is Ch'ung chen (1628-1644), but the lower character does not completely match that in Remmelts. I would appreciate confirmation. Reverse is blank.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

Yes.  Cresswell notes that there are two variants of the bottom character.  He gives the reading for the second character as chêng rather than chen, though.

He doesn't list a blank reverse, though - sure the mint name hasn't just become very worn?

Figleaf

Remmelts says they come with month characters, chia, yi and ping. Patina gets in the way, but I really think the reverse of my piece is blank. Does Cresswell (I haven't heard from him in years; do you know if he's still alive?) illustrate both character variants? The top character is a slight variant only as the two lowest horizontal strokes are pictured sloping in Remmelts.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

Cresswell (O.D. - there seem to be a few Cresswells in numismatics) lists a whole pile of regional mint names for this type, as well as "War Lord" issues, "marked on the reverse with varying numbers of horses etc.", which just sounds weird to me.  I think the latter we would consider charms these days.

His line drawings (appalling quality by modern standards, but still outstanding work for a period when there was virtually nothing available on the subject) show C263a with "straight flanking strokes" on the left-hand element in the bottom character (by analogy I'd say "arms by the sides") and C263b with "diverging flanking strokes" (i.e. arms at 45°), making yours C263b.

weepio

There are over 120 differtent coins known bearing this title, about 4 have a plain reverse. Looks good to me. The coins with the horses bearing this reign are considered coins, not charms

Figleaf

Thank you, gentlemen. That made me happy. It has become almost unusual to find a genuine Chinese coin.

Peter