Author Topic: Russian Empire~Silver Ruble  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Zantetsuken

Russian Empire~Silver Ruble
« on: December 28, 2010, 12:17:09 AM »
Here is a recent aquisition. This is 1 Ruble from the RUSSIAN EMPIRE dated 1762. Issued under the reign of Tsaritsa: Ekaterina (Catherine) Romanov II~The Great. This is a key date since this was the year that Catherine ascended the throne as the new empress. Minted in Saint Petersburg.

RUSSIAN EMPIRE~1 Ruble 1762

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Russian Empire~Silver Ruble
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 01:34:16 AM »
For the umpteenth time, I am happy to be a type collector, but it remains a spectacular coin. Who'd have known at the time how she tuned out? Russia had already had its share of colourful rulers, but Kate would beat them all, except maybe Peter the Great, who is very hard to be outdone on any level.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gxseries

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 07:58:05 AM »
It's more important to know that Peter III, Catherine II's husband ruled the country for one year and apparently got assassinated.

I find Peter III coins to be a lot tougher in any condition.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 04:54:02 PM »
Well, I like them both. Peter III for being so difficult to find and Catharine the Great for being one of the worst to smash through the medieval concept that women are weak and unfit to reign. These coins are a feast for mine eyes.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gxseries

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 12:42:00 AM »
The deal is, it's a lot easier to find Catherine II coins - if you want her portrait, you can find smaller denomination coins which if you look really hard, might be able to get reasonable ones under 100 dollars. Copper is a lot cheaper if you aren't fixed on certain tough dates. Peter III is another story - it's impossible even for his copper coins unless you are willing to fork out a fair bit.

I jumped on the opportunity when I saw this on offer:

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 01:42:45 AM »
It's all a question of how and why you collect. I understand from your posts that you collect Russian  coins. That's great and what's more, you are not the only one, so you can compare notes with like-minded collectors. My collection is quite different. I am interested in global financial history and it shows in my collection.

What little method there is in my madness is not to spend more than $50 on a single coin, collect all countries, start with modern coins and work back. My Russia collection is fairly complete from 1825 to the fall of the Soviet empire (18 coin types on my want list.) When I get my hands on a few more types, I'll start adding Alexander I. I don't think I'll ever make it to Peter III, probably a good thing in view of my spending limit.

I sometimes find older Russian coins, which I add cheerfully. That way, I have a few pieces of Catherine the Great and some older ones. However, give me half a chance and I'll snap up Russian and USSR telephone and metro tokens. they cost next to nothing and are incredibly hard to find here. I just like them. ;D

Peter

Offline gxseries

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 03:33:15 AM »
It would take more than luck for you to look for early Alexander II coins for under 50 dollars especially for those in your list. I too am looking for these coins and expecting to fork out at least 4 times especially those struck in between 1802-1810.

Shoot Basok an email and see if you have any luck: http://www.rustypennies.com/catalog/imperial_coins.html