News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Jamaica 20 dollars

Started by Luis, November 20, 2010, 03:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luis

Hi,

Browsed through some countries in the catalog and tried world coin gallery for a while, with no success.

Thanks,

Luis

Bimat

I'd have guessed Kenya but CoA looks weird :o Also, the portrait is not exactly matching..Is it heavily corroded?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Luis

I tried the quick identifier on world coin gallery to see if the coat of arms was there, but I didn't see it.

The CofA says "Out of many one people"

It's not corroded at all, but I have such poor lighting in this room that the camera didn't focus quite right.

Bimat

Did you try Jamaica then?  :D

This is the CoA of Jamaica :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaica#/media/File:Coat_of_arms_of_Jamaica.svg

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Ukrainii Pyat

It is the centre portion of a bi-metallic Jamaican $20 coin, worth about 25 euro cents face value.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Bimat

Quote from: scottishmoney on November 20, 2010, 03:53:10 AM
It is the centre portion of a bi-metallic Jamaican $20 coin, worth about 25 euro cents face value.
That's why I couldn't find it in catalog ;D ;D

Aditya

Luis

LOL, I was thinking it was very strange to see a modern coin with no country name OR year.

All those crazy coats of arms. They all look the same after a while. I do appreciate the ones with crazy animals in them. :-D

bart

I just received some circulation coins from Jamaica. They include "old" 7-sided and "new" round 1 dollar coins as well as "old" scalloped and "new" round 10 dollar coins.

In the batch were also 2 bimetallic 20 dollar coins, one of 2001 and the other of 2008. At sight they are identical, but the center of the 2001 is non-magnetic (normal as it is Copper-nickel) and that of the 2008 coin is magnetic. I cannot find any description of change of alloy on the internet. Is someone aware of a change of alloy (towards nickel-plated steel?) in 2008?

Thanks in advance.

Bart

<k>

Can't find it on Gerhard Schön or on Numismaster, which suggests it is still to be recorded.

Here is what I did find on Numismaster:

KM# 189   1 Dollar   2008-2009   Nickel Plated Steel    Rev: Sir Alexander Bustamante.

KM# 190 10 Dollars   2008-2009   Nickel Plated Steel    Obv: Arms Rev: George William Gordon.

This suggests that the core of your $20 coin is probably also nickel-plated steel, and that it was part of a series using altered metal content.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.