Author Topic: Discussion: Rs 2 1996 Netaji coin  (Read 13078 times)

Offline palarnab80@gmail.com

Discussion: Rs 2 1996 Netaji coin
« on: October 26, 2010, 09:30:24 AM »
Really how rare is a 1996 Netaji 2 rupee coin?

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
Re: 1996 Netaji coin
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 09:43:12 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, Dear Palarnab.

Well, 1997 Netaji Coin is the coin you generally find in circulation. But 1996 coins are seldom found in circulation. Let's await responses from the more experts in this field, as I am not collecting coins by the Year.

Do keep writing and ENJOY. :) :) :)

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 09:56:13 AM »
Hello,

Welcome to the World of Coins.

1996 Subhash coins were released for circulation and then withdrawn as they realised that the mint had goofed up. So intially some coins were seen and i pickep up mine from circulation. however now they are difficult to find.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
1996 Netaji coin
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 01:02:48 PM »
Catalog quotes for this particular date are: (KM# 130.1)

$10 (VF), $12 (XF) and $20 (UNC).

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

mumbapuri

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 07:10:35 PM »
There are 2 ways of looking at this Q. If you are asking with the intention of selling the coin, well u can make money as per the catalog value or even more. There is no dearth of people who would be ready to splurge w/o thinking.

If it is with the intention of obtaining this coin, you need to have patience and maybe you will be able to get it in circulation or you will need to buy it if you run out of time. Your chances of obtaining from pocket change increases if you stay in kolkatta or any eastern part of the country.

Asking a bunch of people whether a coin is rare is not the best way to ascertain the value or possibility of getting it purely due to the fact that it will be small group of individual opinions, it can come in handy to sooth one' self (in case the person has the coin) and can cause considerable heart-burn in case one is still searching for it. This I say with my own experience  :)

welcome to the forum  ;)

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 08:02:43 PM »
Thats a very beautiful reply, but truth is i am a novice and i am finding the people in this forum really knowledgeable and kind,thanks for entertaining a stupid question.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
1996 Netaji coin
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 07:40:05 AM »
No question is ever stupid :) Like you, we are here to enjoy the fun of collecting coins so don't hesitate to ask questions!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline beekar

• My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 06:46:33 PM »
Really how rare is a 1996 Netaji 2 rupee coin?
In my personal opinion this coin is definitely a rare coin. Because I came to know the existence of this coin, perhaps in the year 2000. From that day I started collecting all the Netaji coins from my locality. Though I have collected more than 100 coins of Netaji, all belong to 1997. Till now I have not got a single piece of Netaji 1996.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
1996 Netaji coin
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 06:52:09 PM »
In my personal opinion this coin is definitely a rare coin. Because I came to know the existence of this coin, perhaps in the year 2000. From that day I started collecting all the Netaji coins from my locality. Though I have collected more than 100 coins of Netaji, all belong to 1997. Till now I have not got a single piece of Netaji 1996.

I'd call it 'not so common' rather than 'rare'  ;) Chances of getting it in circulation are very less, but you can get it easily from any 'decent' dealer...

I'm shocked to hear that you have grabbed 100+ Netaji coins in last 10 years :o That's amazing..

Aditya

mumbapuri

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 07:06:03 PM »
nice pic palarnab80, thx for sharing, care to pls share the source? if you got that coin out of circulation that would be real impressive. So u got that from kolkatta or nearby?

and yes, the only q which is stupid, is the one never asked!

Offline beekar

• My Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 07:17:09 PM »
I'd call it 'not so common' rather than 'rare'  ;) Chances of getting it in circulation are very less, but you can get it easily from any 'decent' dealer...

I'm shocked to hear that you have grabbed 100+ Netaji coins in last 10 years :o That's amazing..

Aditya,
Sometimes we coin collectors grab hundreds of a particular coin available in circulation with a particular ambition/intension in mind. What would you say if I declare that to collect Indira Gandhi 50p mule coins, I have collected more than 500 coins of that variety? Of course I was successful in my mission. Likewise to collect 50p Fisheries mule I have collected 48 coins of that Variety, though I was unsuccessful in my attempt.

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 09:06:56 PM »
Well i have been lucky  and i got it from circulation...and yes i am from kolkata..today rummaging old cupboard got a 1970 FAO brass 20 paisecoin....seems like that too is " kind of rare " piece.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
1996 Netaji coin
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 07:09:55 PM »
Sometimes we coin collectors grab hundreds of a particular coin available in circulation with a particular ambition/intension in mind.
Well, for that you should be lucky enough to come across so many coins ::) I'm certainly jealous of collectors from Eastern/ North East India ;) I don't remember of seeing a single commemorative in change in last 2-3 months...

Aditya

Offline NUMISPHIL

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 06:34:50 PM »
I heard from a few friends collecting coins that there was a set of 1996 Netaji Bose issued and that the same sold for 55000 in an auction. Two things hitting my mind. 1. Was a set issued at all?  2. If yes, would it form a part of the unc set collection which a lot of numismatist do?
Thanks.

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 03:18:32 AM »
I agree that 1996 Netaji coins are 'not so common' rather than 'rare'. A two coin set of 1996 was sold in an auction for 55K. A similar 2 coin set for 2007 is priced at 5K.

Maybe Kolkata mint prepared a limited number of 1996 sets for presentation to dignitaries. Or maybe some smart guy prepared a set of his own. I am not sure.

There is lot of hanky panky going on at Kolkata Mint. I cant write it on this forum.