Author Topic: Gangatic Doab. Vigra Pala dynasty (9-10th cent. AD)  (Read 2782 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Gangatic Doab. Vigra Pala dynasty (9-10th cent. AD)
« on: October 10, 2010, 11:02:03 AM »
This coin gave me doubts. The script and style of the design was so different from everything I was familiar with that I tended to take it for a clothes decoration, until I suddenly saw the two toffees flanking the candy bar. I'd seen those before... Silver, 4.0 grams and 18.1 to 19.3 mm.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 01:31:32 AM by asm »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Jaipur purchase (8/9)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 11:55:21 AM »
Both immages are depicted up-side-down.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »
They have been turned around.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 08:12:41 PM »
Do you recognise now a very crudely engraved bust facing to right and a letter Sri in front?
It is an issue of the Vigra Pala dynasty (9-10th cent.) Gangatic Doab.
This coin type is derived from the Indo-Sassanian proto-type and very debased in design (and also metal contents, which is billon).  The reverse shows the remnants of a fire altar with attendants on either side.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 09:33:19 AM »
Yes! The face becomes clear if you know it's there. I was looking for script and nothing made sense. :) So this is a descendant of the Indo-Sassanidian drachmai. Great fun. The Mars bar is the altar and the toffees the attendants, I suppose? Thanks, Oesho. This has become an instant favourite for its fine abstract art quality.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 05:27:08 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 11:56:49 AM »
Yes, this is pure 'Modern Art'. Picasso could not has designed it better.
The 'toffees' on both sides of the shaft, however, are still part of the fire altar. They probably represent the garland-like decorations, found on earlier types. The attendants are still besides this.