News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

New Commemorative Issue: 2010: Chidambaram Subramaniam

Started by kansal888, August 23, 2010, 10:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kansal888

Dear Friends

GOI will shortly release commemorative coins on a personality whose name is:

C _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _     S _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The coin will be issued on 28th August 2010

Regards

Sanjay Kansal

Edit: Title Changed.

mumbapuri

are you referring to chandra shekhar or chandrashekhar singh the former PM of india?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandra_Shekhar_Singh

i would have preffered
chandrashekhar azad!

kansal888

Clue number 1:

The coin will be issued in the name of the One
Who lived near the territory of Ravana

sdchaugule

He is Chidambaram Subramaniam

Bimat

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

H

Second that, a terrific guess!

sdchaugule

I could make out, as Chidambaram Subramaniam was popularly known as CS. One can read the details about him to the link provided by Aditya above.   

Bimat

Seriously,that was a terrific guess! I'd have never thought that!

Any idea about denomination? And this will also be the first commemorative with the date as 2010 8)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

kansal888

Congrats sdchaugule for guessing it right. You are right, Subramanian was known as CS so I left this clue.

And folks there were lots of issues in 2010 like RBI, Rajendra Prasad, Tagore, Mother Teresa, Commonwealth Games etc
Regards
Sanjay Kansal

PS: My sixth sense says dat sdchaugule hs some insiders info on CS coin! He could not be bang on target merely by 'guesswork'

sdchaugule

Sanjay Kansal
Being from IAS cadre, I had couple of occasions to meet me on official work during his tenor as Governor Of Maharashtra. Your cue that he lived near the territory of Ravana immediately strike me that he is no one other than CS. CS was most brilliant and witty person that I had come across. There is nothing like sixth or seventh sense.
Regards,
sdchaugule

kansal888

Dear sdchaugule

Glad to know that you have actually met CS in person. He was instrumental in bringing green revolution to India. He was honoured by Bharat Ratna. I understand that he was not like other run of the mill politicos.

In adm circles, he was very popular and fondly called CS. Since you are also from same fraternity, you could easily make it out. Now I have understood the mystery!!

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

PS: Whats your primary area of interest in coins - republic?, proofs? british india??

sdchaugule

Dear Mr Sanjay Kansal,
Thanks for your kind letter. It was all matter of events. Collection of coins, notes and stamps started rather seriously as hobby after my retirement, which could not be done while in service for want of time. My collection is restricted to Indian items. 
Regards,
sdchaugule     

H

Friends,

Were these coins issued/announced yesterday? I missed them in the daily news.

kansal888

Dear friends

Yes the coins on chidambaram Subramaniam were released yesterday at Coimbatore by Sh Pranab Mukherji

The denominations are Rs100 & Rs5

Regards
Sanjay Kansal