News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Br West Africa

Started by Afrasi, August 18, 2010, 06:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afrasi

Sometimes your are lucky and sometimes ... you are very lucky.  :D

The coin shown below was sticked with other world coins on a framed red piece of cloth. You can see the remainders of the adhesive and the red cloth.

Question: Would anyone of you spend any €/$/Rupee/... for this ugly piece of brass?

andyg

is that a Heaton mint one or a plain one  ???
can't tell from the scan.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Afrasi

It's hard to see on the scan, but it's clearly Heaton.  :)

andyg

tsk, fancy sticking that to some red card :'(

Afrasi

I think it's possible to clean it with a wooden cure-dent. I will show it later this evening!

What is the meaning of "tsk"?

andyg

In that context you could say it means "oh dear"

Imagine visiting a distillery in Scotland, helping yourself to a big glass of whisky, sitting down outside to drink it - then seeing some big black rain clouds heading towards you...

Well OK, maybe not that bad ;D

Afrasi

Here my first result. I had to pay nothing for these coins. They came from an old sailor, who sticked his "collection" of West African coins (about 1940 to 1960) on this horrible red card. The H is in natura much clearer than in the scan.
The grading is only a fine, but now this old shilling is mine. At least worth a Tullibardine!  ;D

Figleaf

Quote from: Afrasi on August 18, 2010, 08:16:34 PM
What is the meaning of "tsk"?

meine Güte ;)

The mintmarks on the coins of British west Africa are a source of constant amusement. At the time, all dies were prepared in London at the Royal Mint including mintmark or mintmarks as might be needed. These were filled in when not needed. This practice resulted in dies with mintmarks not or not adequately filled in. For instance, while all British West Africa shillings 1938-1943 were struck in London, we know of coins marked 1939H, 1940H, 1939KN, 1942KN and even 1939KHN (attachment). As the coins were struck in London, to me these are misstrikes, not variants.

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Afrasi

You are right about the Shillings 1938-1943. This one is perhaps another case. Officially there were no circulation strikes 1946 H made at Heaton, but in "The Mint Collection" are three specimen of 1946H.  :o
The dies were obviously existent and may be used in error for a small number of pieces. The London pieces look different at the bottom of the tree.