Author Topic: Frosted head in Switzerland circulation coins  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Rasmus

• Rasmus Coin Pages
Frosted head in Switzerland circulation coins
« on: June 09, 2010, 07:17:42 PM »
Just a question, since when Switzerland is using frosted head in it's circulation coins?
Now I have such 5 rappen 2005 and 10 rappen 2009 with frosted head.

Are also other coins use such feature?

Thanks

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Frosted head in Switzerland circulation coins
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 12:02:33 PM »
Yes, there are (many) others. I have just returned from Switzerland and one of my leftover coins is a very good looking 1 Franc coin 2010 (if anyone wants it, let me know).

My guess is that the Berne mint uses more strength or strikes more slowly (or both) than other mints, so that circulation strikes start looking proof-like. Something similar happened in the Netherlands in the last years before the introduction of the euro. Maybe the problem of being a small mint producing relatively short series was solved by making a superior quality product.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Frosted head in Switzerland circulation coins
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 07:34:50 PM »
I like it when a mint strikes coins of such a good quality ;D The Swiss coins are really very well struck,I have a couple of them from 40's which are still  VERY shiny..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Enlil

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 06:56:55 AM »
I get some one and two dollar Australian coins the same, but I presume they are proof issue that have been spent.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 08:01:55 AM »
The population of Australia (22 million) is only slightly larger than that of the Netherlands (17 million), so there is a chance that the effect described above can also be seen in Australian coins. Sometimes, but not always, the frosting is slightly incomplete on the highest points, becoming mirror-like instead. The coins are still very nice, though. wherever they come from.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.