Author Topic: Hungary: Vlad the Impaler  (Read 1796 times)

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
Hungary: Vlad the Impaler
« on: May 31, 2010, 02:15:21 AM »
Got this little coin as a gift.
Obverse  +M.MAThIE.R.hVNGARIE around Corvinus/Hungarian Coat of Arms with Patriarchal Cross, stripes and raven
Reverse: PATROBA VNGARIE, Virgin Mary holding infant Jesus Christ, shield to either side.
K mintmark

Kremnica Mint 1458-1490 AD Siver Denar 15.7mm 0.5g

This is a coin of Matthias Corvinus of the House of Corwin. Corvinus was the first actual Hungarian to sit on theis throne since 1300AD., when this area saw the extinction of the House of Arpad. Corvinus was born in Kolozsvar, Translvania, and was the second son of John Hunyadi, legendary General and defeater of the Turks. Corvinus was known as a just and wise king, and history books place him as the king who imprisoned Vlad the Impaler, also known as Count Dracula. The two were allies during wartime, but eventually Vlad(aka Dracula) was imprisoned for high treason by his king. This coin is a silver Denar. It features a shield with the Coat of Arms of the House of Corvinus/Hungarian Coat of Arms on one side and the Madonna holding the infant Jesus on the other.
Ginger
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:50:56 AM by ghipszky »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Hungary: Vlad the Impaler
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 03:38:52 AM »
Fun coin, Ginger. I read the legends slightly differently:

obv: +M.MATHIE.R.HVNGARE
rev: PATRONA VNGARIA

Also, I see no shields on either side, but I do see the K mintmark.

The arms used on modern Hungarian coins is different, but many elements are the same. The modern arms are crowned with the crown of St. Stephen. The red and silver bars represent the house of Arpad, the predecessors of Corvinius. The only thing we know about the double cross is that its origin is Byzantine. The bird device is the personal crest of Matthias. On the modern arms, the bird has flown away and the double cross is planted in three hills, the middle one crowned.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 04:04:08 AM »
Thank you Peter. I was just going on the info the guy gave me that gave me this coin. It is kind of fun for Skee to have this coin.
I don't recall seeing a double cross on any Byzantine coins. I will have to check out some of the later Byzantine coins.
Ginger

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 09:29:07 AM »
I am not sure if it is on coins, but the Byzantine provenance of the patriarchal cross is well known. What is not known is why it got into the Hungarian arms.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 03:41:14 AM »
Maybe I have seen it before, but don't recognize it because I don't have many coins from that time period.
As for the Hungarians used it, I don't know.
Ginger