News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Singapore coins 1967-85 still current?

Started by translateltd, March 24, 2010, 12:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

translateltd

Does anyone know if the "large" Singapore coins issued between 1967 and about 1985 are still legal tender? I know they were still accepted when I passed through the airport there in 2003 but don't know if that's still the case.

andyg

It looks like they are still valid,

buried on this page is Q14;

Q14
What is the value of commemorative/old series currency?

A14

As a currency issuing authority, MAS does not participate in the secondary market to buy and sell commemorative/old series currencies at the market value.  MAS would however stand ready to redeem them at their face value as provided for in the Currency Act.

and here
is this section of text,
1.3 Singapore Currency
Since 1967, four series of currency notes and two series of currency coins
have been issued for general circulation. The currency notes of all the four series,
known as 'Orchid' (1967), 'Bird' (1976), 'Ship' (1984) and 'Portrait' (1999), and both
coin series are legal tender. The current series of notes and coins issued for
circulation are the 'Portrait' series notes and the 'Floral' series coins.

translateltd

Great - thanks for this.  Not planning any trips in the near future but might as well let the bag of SG coins build up some more ...

gxseries

They are legal tender but I have never seen them since the early 1990s or so. Those vanished really quick when I visited Singapore once in a while. I reckon it's worthwhile keeping them.