Cartaux - engraver

Started by africancoins, March 21, 2010, 01:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

africancoins

I also believe there is no Irish connection. One other reason being that I have never seen anything similar with a design with a connection to either e.g. Wales, Scotland or England.

The denominated side (though with variable denomination) is the standard/common-side design - one sort of for British and one for French.

There are quite a number of pictorial reverses in the series just a few are gramaphone, an archway etc... Though on at least some of the "(centimes)" pieces the design on the reverse is non-pictorial.

Perhaps all tokens in a particular venue would be of the same reverse and the nearest other place using that reverse would be many miles away... but the venues would not be the source of the ideas for the designs.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

PW

The backwards P joined to the F is the monogram of the guy concerned.

The FC  is the signature for Cartaux.  They sign some (though not many) pieces as CARTAUX FRERES.  They are well-known for having struck many of the so-called 'brothel' tokens - the ones made of brass shells around a card core.  My opinion is that these pieces were either advertising pieces, or they were card counters, certainly some of the establishments were brothels, places of entertainment and gambling houses.  They also made jetons (these were literally thrown) for the parade of one Lord Mayor of London, and there are others that advertise London restaurants, an exotic dancer at a theatre, and a young lady who has an address.  Similar pieces are also known for Cape Town in S. Africa, and New York.

Paul Withers

translateltd

Going back a few messages, I assume that the sense of "à consommer" refers to consumption of the token, i.e. using it up, rather than any notion of eating and drinking.  So it would be a direct equivalent of "to be used on the premises".

bagerap

Peter,
The complete Leonard Forrer . Biographical Dictionary of Medallists, Coin, Gem and Seal Engravers volumes 1-8 are available for reference online at the University of Michigan.
This should take you there:

http://97.107.129.173/_SEARCH/refsearchbiodict.asp

Bob

redwine

To paraphrase what I've read on the net

Slot machines appeared around 1890. In 1902,a law was passed that banned the distribution of cash earnings, only earnings in kind were allowed,
such as candy or cigarettes, or "to eat" jetons. The token "to eat" could not be more than two to three times the initial wager which itself should not exceed 10 cents
(at first), and was to be used in the establishment where the machine was.
These machines were installed in various public places such as bars or fairgrounds. They were finally banned by a decree of August 1937.
Among major manufacturers were Bussoz, Beraud, Caille, Lecuyer-Mejeanne-Osswald, Loubet, Nau, Soukhostavski-Verdier, Valter ...
For manufacturers of tokens, Cartaux and also Katz.

http://www.identification-numismatique.com/t1067-jetons-cartaux

BTW It looks more like a Welsh harp! ;D
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

redwine

I got this FC today  ;D

africancoins

A 1 Penny token by Cartaux...

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

africancoins

I have now got another shell-card token and it would seem it may be by Freres Cartaux - see the entwined "FC" between the two dots on the reverse (also in the closer image). I don't know what the other symbol on the reverse could be.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

malj1

Another consommer piece with a rather odd looking contraption on the reverse. French shopping trolley?  ???  ;D signed both sides with the Cartaux Brothers triangle mark.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

bagerap

Another Cartaux variety, quite common I believe:

malj1

I came across this thread on CoinQuest today, this links to our page and appears to be a potted history taken from our page.

I'm placing this information here for visitors from that site to explain that although he remarks on the triangle mintmark FC, of Freres Cartaux, he did not pick up on the fact that this translates to the Cartaux Brothers of Paris.

Edit: Now known to be Frances Cartaux
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

redwine

My favourite FC so far  8)
And no I didn't colour in the bottle.  :o

redwine

Another FC

redwine

And another FC

redwine

Loriot FC