News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Zengid dirham

Started by Pellinore, May 03, 2024, 10:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellinore

In my eyes a great beauty, this coin, and part of this is the distinguished dark patina. Ralph Cannito had a most discerning eye. His collection was auctioned in the last few years, I'm glad I was able to buy three coins from it.
AR dirham Zengids of Syria. al-Salih Isma'il, 1174-1181, Halab, 575 AH, A-1852 ('R'), citing caliph al-Mustadi and ruler Isma`il bin Mahmud. 21 mm, 2.87 gr. Ex Ralph A. Cannito Collection. Zeno 43646, 3369.

-- Paul

6800 ws.jpg

aws22

Dear Paul, your coin:
Zengids of Syria, al-Salih Isma'il, citing al-Mustadi' bi-Amr Allah and ruler Isma`il bin Mahmud, AH 575/ 1179 AD, AR Dirham, Halab mint (AH 569-577/ 1174-1181 AD)
Obverse (left photo):
Field:
الله  , Allah
لا اله الا  , La Ilah Illa
وحده لا شريك له  , Wahdahu La Shrik Lahu
 المستضيء بامر الله ,  al-Mustadi' bi-Amr Allah (referring to the Abbasid Caliph (AH 566–575 /1170–1180 AD))   
امير المؤمنين  , Amir al-Mu'minin (The Commander of the Faithful )
Margin:
بسم الله ضرب هذا الدرهم بحلب سنة خمس وسبعين وخمسمائه , Bism Allah duriba hatha al-Dirham bi-Halab sanah khams wa sab'in wa khams mi'a (575)
Reverse (Right photo):
Field:
الله  , Allah
محمد رسول  , Muhammad Rasul
صلى الله عليه  , salla Allah alayhi
الملك الصالح  , al-Malik al-Salih
اسمعيل بن محمود  , Isma'il bin Mahmud
Margin: part of the verse:
محمد رسول الله) ارسله بالهدى و دين الحق ليظهره على الدين كله ولو كره المشركون)
(Muhammad Rasul Allah) arsalahu bi'l-huda wa din al-haqq li-yuzhirahu 'ala al-din kullihi wa law kariha al-mushrikun
"(Muhammad is the messenger of God) who sent him with guidance and the religion of truth that he might make it supreme over all other religions, even though the polytheists may detest it", Sura 9 (al-Tawba), v. 33.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

THCoins

Beautifull coin !
The little spikes at the tope of the characters give the calligraphy a very characteristic style.

Pellinore

capnbirdseye

Agreed that it's a special beauty with that natural toning enhancing the script,  so many coins now appearing for sale that have been cleaned up to look like new
Vic