Safavid, Sulayman I, AR Abbasi, Tabriz,

Started by capnbirdseye, April 27, 2024, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

Safavid, Sulayman I, AR Abbasi, Tabriz, last digit of the date (5) is visible and probably an 8 so 1085 AH
Vic

aws22

Dear Vic, your coin:
Safavid, Sulayman I / Safi II, AH 1085, AR Abbasi (4 Shahi), Tabriz mint (AH 1077-1105/1666-1694 AD)
Reverse (Left photo): inside beaded circle:
بنده شاه ولایت سلیمان , ضرب تبريز ۱۰۸۵  , "Bandeh-i Shah-i wilayat Sulayman , zarb Tabriz". Date " 1085 ۱۰۸۵ ",
Obverse (Right photo):
Field: inside inner circle, shiite formula (Kalima):
" لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله علی ولی الله ", La illah l'Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah, 'Ali Wali Allah, meaning, " no God but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God, 'Ali is the chosen one of God ".
Margin: circular legend of the 12 Shiite Imams:
" علي حسن حسين علي محمد جعفر موسى علي محمد علي حسن محمد " 'Ali Hasan Hussein 'Ali Muhammad Jafar Musa 'Ali Muhammad 'Ali Hasan Muhammad
Sam Mirza (سام میرزا), later known by his first dynastic name of Safi II (شاه صفی), and thereafter known by his more famous second dynastic name of Sulayman I (شاه سلیمان), was the eighth Safavid shah (king) of Iran, ruling from 1 November 1666 to 29 July 1694.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

saro

Thank you Vic ;) same type as this one from Isfahan mint but different from  Zeno (#227092 & 331482)

Zeno : #332619 (yours...)
Numista : -
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

capnbirdseye

Thank you Maythem for the reading and saro for pointing out the different variations, when I first got this coin I struggled to read the mint as it's quite different to the more usual way of writing Tabriz on these coins
Vic