Unknown copper coin / Sunface falus, Herat mint

Started by petar.mne, April 24, 2024, 04:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petar.mne

Diameter 16mm. Came in a lot of various coins so it could be anything

jkk

If it's Cu, your best guess is probably in the sea of Afghan civic copper. I can imagine the second image reading W A HA or HAT, which is not much use.
Jonathan

aws22

Thank you Jonathan, I agree it is Afghanistan copper coin minted in " Herat هراة " but what about the otherside.
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

jkk

Thank you, Maythem. I was hoping you'd opine. I suspect that a tree design is a logical possibility for the other side, given what we can see. I don't think that much stringency was placed on alignment (nor do we know here). I can't make out anything like text on that other side, unless we posit that the swooshes are final or isolated tooth letters--and if so, what would lead into them and why would they be crammed so closely? Not consistent with what I have seen, so I think if Petar can find a design with those swooshes from Herat, he might have a positive attribution.
Jonathan

aws22

Thank you Jonathan, the other side could be "Sunface".  In the following link, it shows a sunface copper coin mistakingly called Herat mint but it reads " zarb Falus Tabriz ضرب فلوس تبريز  ":
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=375825&whichpage=1

Maythem

jkk

I believe that you have a quite credible and positive ID there. عمل ممتاز يا ميثم.
Jonathan

Figleaf

WOW, a coin brought back from the dead. :applause:  :applause:

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Maythen, I think that your first suggestion was the good one, with  the letters read by jkk : "Herat"
And congratulations to have detectecd the sunface, that wasn't easy !!

For me, its well a sunface copper of Herat, with parts of : " بلدهَ هراهَ  city of Herat"
Such writing indicates a coin likely struck before the early 10th c. AH
(the pattern is from a fals dated 861 AH)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

aws22

Thank Saro, yes for the Second photo, it fits well:
هر
بلدة ا ة  , Baldat (Her)at (City of Herat)
ضرب  , zarb (not visible)
date at the bottom

Maythem