News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

10 Grani - Emmanuel de Rohan (Malta)

Started by RoyalCoinage, April 22, 2024, 05:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoyalCoinage

History:

Emmanuel Marie des Neiges de Rohan-Polduc was a member of the Rohan family (nobles) of France and was the 70th Grand Master of the Order of St. John from 1775 to 1797. Emmanuel elevated the village of Żebbuġ to the status of city, naming it Città Rohan. He also compiled the Code de Rohan, a constitutional law book published in two volumes in 1782.

He established the Russian Grand Priory, which later evolved into the Russian tradition of the Knights Hospitaller. Commissioned and partially financed the construction of Fort Tigné. His tenure as Grand Master was marked by efforts to revive the principles of the Order and further the well-being of the Maltese people.

Despite facing challenges such as the decline of the Order due to the French Revolution, he remained a respected and popular figure until his death. Emmanuel de Rohan-Polduc's legacy is still evident in Malta today, with places and monuments bearing his name and coat of arms. (He was the last Grandmaster to control Malta before Napolean's Exile of the Order).
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Coin:
-----
*Obverse*

Crowned arms of Malta.

Script: Latin

Lettering: F·EMMANUEL DE ROHAN MM
----------------------------------
*Reverse*

Two hands shaking, date above.

Script: Latin

Lettering:
NON AES SED FIDES
·X·
----------------

*Text Variation*

F. EMMANUEL DE ROHAN M M H
F. EMMANUEL DE ROHAN M
F. EMMANVEL DE ROHAN M. M. H.
F. EMMANUEL DE ROHAN M. M.
F. EMMANVEL DE ROHAN M. M.
Retrograde L in EMMANVEL of legend

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces36087.html
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Figleaf

Indeed a 10 grainer (the denomination is the X below the clasped hands) or Carlino 1776, Calleja Schembri plate 24, figure 5. I read the obverse legend as F.EMANUEL DE ROHAN .M.M.H. (magister magnus - grand master)

For the sake of completeness, the arms you show are not his personal arms, but those of the Rohan-Polduc branch. The arms supporters shown on the coin are headless eagles, possibly a reference to St. John Baptist, whose severed head on a platter appears on other Rohan coins. Not sure why he thought he could add a crown on the arms.

I am amused by the reverse legend +NON AES SED FIDES. (not copper but faith); it can be read as a comment on the weight of the coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

RoyalCoinage

Thank you for the correction on the coat of arms not being his personal coat of arms. I don't know how but I miss read it as it being his, very clumsy of me..... :P