News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Afghanistan, Mahmud Shah rupee

Started by Pellinore, April 10, 2024, 11:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellinore

Isn't it a beauty? This coin came to me on Saturday, and it was very welcome. The picture was made by Jan Lingen.

Afghanistan, Mahmud Shah, 2nd reign, AH1224-1233. AR rupee Peshawar, AH1232/Regnal year 9 = 1816 AD. 24.5 mm, 10.72 g. KM 728. Zeno 68606.

-- Paul

7224. AFG Lng w.jpg

jkk

Pretty sharp piece, nice detail all around, clear date. I like just about everything about it.
Jonathan

aws22

Dear Paul, your coin in details:
Afghanistan, Mahmud Shah ibn Taimur Shah (2nd reign), AH 1232/RY 9 (1817 AD), AR Rupee, Peshawar mint, KM 728 (AH 1224-1233/1809-1818 AD)
Obverse (Left photo):
Field: in the quatrefoil center:
سلطان محمود \ ۱۲۳۲
"Sultan Muhmud" with Date 1232
Margin:  in four segments starting at 3 O'clock, clockwise:
سكه دولت \ حسن دیگر \ به زر وسيم \ فزود  , "Sikka dawlat / hasan digar / beh zer wa sim , fazuad" ; The coin of the realm \ has another good \ with gold and silver \ increased
Reverse (Right photo): inside a square, reads:
ضرب بشاور جلوس سنة ۹  , "Zarb Peshawar julus Sanah 9 "
(Struck at Peshawar in the year 9 of the accession).
Note: This coin was produced under Sikh rule (Sikh occupation of Peshawar). Sikh effective rule in Peshawar commenced in AH1231 (1816), but all coinage cites only the Durrani ruler, Mahmud Shah until about AH1234 (1819) and then Ayyub Shah until AH1245 (1829).

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

saro

"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Seeker55

Magnificent coin and, as usual, an excellent reading and explanation by Maythem  :thumbsup:

aws22

Thank you Saro and Seeker55

Maythem

saro

the transcription of the margin legend, partially off flan on this coin  given by Whitehead is:
  " سكه دولت  حسن دیگر  بزر وسيم  فزود  ":  " Made abundant coin of the realm on gold and silver / The second Hasan, Sultan Mahmud"

aws22

Thank you Saro, this couplet I found in AfghanPedia reference shown below:
اعلیحضرت محمود شاه باردوم نیز طلا و نقره ومس ضرب زده است بیت روى مسکوکات چنین است
His Highness Mahmud Shah (2nd reign), also minted gold, silver and copper.
سکه دولت به زر وسیم فزود
حسن دیگر سلطان محمود
https://afghanpedia.com/depot/article/D2/HeXbzd1SWMIHbmN3

Maythem

saro

Yes Maythem, the text is well yours, just with "  به زر  " written " بزر "(same meaning)
If not wrong, the  name "Hasan" means "benefactor", Whitehead considers it as "Mahmud the other Hasan" (the name) , that could be well "Mahmud the other benefactor" which rather makes sense ?

Pellinore

Thanks very much all of you, for the interesting discussion and bringing home to me the finer feelings of the fine calligraphy of this beautiful coin.

-- Paul