News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Early Scout Medals/Awards????

Started by bhx7, April 06, 2024, 01:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhx7

Hi All

So a few years ago I got 2 bracteate copper Scout medals or awards, not sure exactly how to describe them. See Images. I did find some information regarding the Box Car race which took place for the first and last time in 1939. Specs of the bracteate pieces are within their titles. Also see the photos and newspaper cuttings. Any extra info would be truly appreciated.

Brian

FosseWay

I've come across similar bracteates with holes in from Swedish Scout summer camps. I had presumed that they weren't medals in the normal sense but rather designed to be attached to a kit bag or something. Hence the holes.

12139 is from Gränsö scout week in Västervik in south-east Sweden, in 1946. It is bracteate, brass, 25 mm, 2.48 g.

14506 is from the Dalacamp event in Kopparbo in Dalarna in 1977. It is blank on the reverse (not bracteate), 30.5 mm, 7.44 g

Figleaf

Quote from: FosseWay on April 06, 2024, 05:27:25 PMI had presumed that they weren't medals in the normal sense but rather designed to be attached to a kit bag or something. Hence the holes.

I considered them items of decoration also, but was mystified by the placing of the holes on the 1939 item until I read Fosseway's kit bag remark. The holes are well placed for a bag that is used standing upright, but has a handle on the long side, so that it is transported turned 90°.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

I think the holes on the 1939 example are placed where they don't interfere with the text (i.e. in the spaces between words).

Ideally, obviously, you'd design your medal etc. with the holes in mind. But it doesn't take a huge amount of imagination to envisage a scenario where the organisation commissions a medal from a designer and diesinker, and first when it's made realises that they need to make holes in it. They then put the holes where they mess up the design least.

brandm24

I agree. The holes are in odd positions on the medal and were likely added later. I suppose it could be a manufacturer's oversight but that seems unlikely.

Bruce
Always Faithful