News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Australian baby coins, 2021 to 2023

Started by <k>, December 01, 2023, 07:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Australia $2 obverse-baby set.jpg

Obverse of the $2 Baby Coin of 2023.

Australia baby set.jpg

Australia: baby coins of 2023.

5  cents.    Wooden echidna.
10 cents.    Marionette lyrebird.
20 cents.    Wind-up platypus.
50 cents.    Plush toy Coat of Arms.
1 dollar.    Four plush kangaroos.
2 dollars.   Indigenous baby.

Since 2021 Australia has issued sets of Baby Coins.

They are clearly designed to appeal to children.

However, they do not circulate.

They are childlike caricatures of the standard circulation themes.

They have all been designed by adult artists - not children.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Ireland, 1 penny, 1928.

These designs remind me of the Irish pre-decimal penny.

The hen and chicks on the reverse look like clockwork toys.

<k>

The toys on the coins are described as "plush".

Here is a definition of plush:

Thick, soft cloth, with a surface like short fur, used especially for covering furniture or making toys for children.

"Fur" is the operative word here. The English word "plush" is derived from "pelouche", the French word for "fur".

As an adjective, plush means:

Expensive, comfortable, and of high quality.

MCz

Baby Coin sets were issued also earlier, each set was with special 1$ avaliable only in these sets:
2007-2008 Norman Lindsay - The Magic Pudding - see here: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces72960.html
2009-2011 Dorothy Wall - Blinky Bill - see here: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces72964.html
2012-2014 Ethel C. Pedley - Dot and the Kangaroo - see here: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces73004.html
Before 2007, baby sets were issued with standard 1$.

Just one additional info about 2021-2023 Baby sets: only in 2023 all 6 coins are childlike caricatures of the standard circulation themes. In previous years, it was only 3 coins like this (in 2021: 5c, 20c and 1$; in 2022: 10c, 50c and 2$). So to have it all 6, you needed to buy two sets 2021 and 2022... or wait to 2023 and buy only one set with all 6 coins.

<k>

McZ, do any other countries produce similar non-circulating sets to this Australian one?

By similar, I mean a set that includes the full (or almost full) range of denominations and that does NOT have a serious commemorative purpose.

I exclude these sets, which DO have a mostly serious purpose: One-off sets from countries with circulation coins.

I also exclude these sets:  Official "circulation-like" sets.

I also exclude fantasies.

quaziright

The Canadian yearly sets usually include the full standard circulation set plus a non-circulation commemorative loonie which doesn't commemorate any particular milestone (something like a random wildlife coin)

<k>

I think that practice is common enough in some other countries, quazi. And wildlife designs are perfectly sensible.

However, that doesn't meet my condition of a full or almost full range of denominations, and an offbeat theme.

I'm unsure what generic name we should give to the Australian baby sort of set. I think we need one.

Figleaf

Just don't call it "baby set". That's what the Dutch mint calls (called?) its sets of standard circulation coins in baby-oriented-adult-targeted packaging. The hyperventilating Aussie marketeers just took the concept one step further. What'll they think of next? A "coin" that children can safely swallow?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Quote from: Figleaf on February 14, 2024, 10:17:54 PMThat's what the Dutch mint calls (called?) its sets of standard circulation coins in baby-oriented-adult-targeted packaging.

I believe the UK has those too - or did have. Tasteless.

MCz

Canada issue a lot of so called "Gift set" released for Birthday, Wedding, Newborn (before was called Baby set), Holiday (Christmas), Congratulation etc. This started about 18 years ago (I guess 2006) with individual 25c coin in card, then after few years full set of circulation coins were issued with commemorative 25c. In 2014 this was switched from 25c to 1$.
Sets are issued to commmorate the events, I can imagine that some people buy it to give it to someone who is married, has new baby or as Christmas gift.

<k>