Author Topic: Strangest coin of modern Russia  (Read 1852 times)

Offline ciscoins

• Coins of CIS and Baltic countries
Strangest coin of modern Russia
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:52:36 PM »
In 1992, just after the split of the USSR, the Bank of Russia issued two bimetallic coins for circulation: 50 roubles (Y#315) and 100 roubles (Y#316). These coins have different composition, different colours, but the same diameter - 25 mm. And the value of each coin is written twice: with figures at one side, and with words at the other.

And both of the mints - in Moscow and in Saint-Petersburg - had made the same mistake. Sometimes they took an obverse side of one coin and reverse side of the other. Because the diameters are the same, and nobody wanted to read the value in words - they looked only at the figures.

So we have these coins with uncertain denomination. From one side they are 50 roubles, and from the other side - 100 roubles.

Such coins are extremely rare. For example, last year one coin in XF grade was sold at "Coins and medals" auction for about USD 9400, and the start price was USD 3400. See their website.

Just look at your Russian coins. Maybe you have such coin, but didn't notice that. (All of them were in circulation.)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:32:27 PM by Figleaf »
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Strangest coin of modern Russia
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 06:40:03 PM »
Description on the web site:

100 rubles 1992, rev: Fifty rubles - BANK OF RUSSIA. Bimetallic, the central insert - copper-nickel alloy, the rim - brass, 6.01 g. Almost perfect preservation, patina. Fedorin, pp. 254. Rylov, sable, pp. 157. Extremely rare and interesting specimen.

This coin is a so-called "pereputku" - it was the result of confusing dies for different denominations - and, obviously, is the product of erroneous coinage. To paraphrase the well-known domestic numismatist and researcher V. N. Nasticha, well, where else but in our unique country, would you find a coin, the reverse of which can be exchanged for two obverses?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 12:13:24 AM »
I just checked my coins. Tomorrow I will have to go to work again  :'(

Offline Zantetsuken

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 03:30:59 AM »
Very interesting 'ciscoins'. When I first looked at this coin, I didn't notice the error. I don't know if this would be classified as a 'mule' because of the mismatched obverse/reverse patterns. This is a great find on your part. Thanks for sharing.

~Daniel