News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Azad hind fauj

Started by krishna, February 21, 2023, 04:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krishna

A dealer was selling this coin,its a british india 1 rupee counter stamped with the mark of "azad hind fauj" translated as the army of free india, a revolutionary army headed by Mr. Subhash Ch. Bose

Figleaf

I think the counterstamp is P.G.A.A./1945. What is the relation with "azad hind fauj"?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

I can't answer the question that Peter has, but I've seen these counterstamps before. Probably on an auction site but my memory of them is a bit sketchy. Thanks for posting yours.

Bruce

Always Faithful

Abhay

It's PGAH for Provisional Government Azad Hind.
In all probability, this particular coin is a recently made counter mark. Most of the present coins being sold in market are recent forgeries.

For more on this topic, just refer to this old discussion here: http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,8758.msg58163.html#msg58163

Abhay

INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Figleaf

It really looks like PGAA, Abhay. That sort of flagrant error would support your contention that it is a recent fake, but you wonder why the dealer didn't see this.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

asm

Quote from: Figleaf on February 22, 2023, 08:42:02 AMIt really looks like PGAA, Abhay. That sort of flagrant error would support your contention that it is a recent fake,..........
Peter
Probably a deliberate error...... Just as in the olden times so that it would not be called a forgery. One can make a copy of someting that exists and get caught..........but what about making something that did not exist. The third and fourth letters are badly done, as compared to the first two.

Quote from: Figleaf on February 22, 2023, 08:42:02 AM............. but you wonder why the dealer didn't see this.
Peter
When the attempt is to make a fast buck, why would he spot it?

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

brandm24

Agreed, asm. Some dealers have a tendency to "overlook" what's likely a forgery or even make up stories about the meaning or attribution of a counterstamp. Unfortunately, I've seen it more times than I care to remember.

Bruce
Always Faithful