News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Variant of Belgian 5 euro cent coin 2022

Started by eurocoin, February 19, 2023, 10:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

According to the Belgian mintmaster Giovanni van de Velde, Royal Dutch Mint is currently manufacturing 2022-dated Belgian 5 euro cent coins with his mintmastermark.

Last year the Belgian government placed a quite large order with Royal Dutch Mint for the production of 5 euro cent coins. It was planned that all of these coins would depict the mintmastermark of Ingrid van Herzele. However a part of the order was delayed and not ready before the end of the year. The Royal Mint of Belgium has requested the remaining production from 1 January 2023 to continue to have the 2022 date but with the mintmastermark of Giovanni van de Velde.

This means that the 5 euro cent coin of Belgium with the date 2022 will exist with both the mintmastermark of Ingrid van Herzele and with that of Giovanni van de Velde.

Globetrotter

Thanks, I'm looking forward to have one of each.

Angus

Has anyone found any of these with the new mintmark yet?

eurocoin

As far as I am aware these pieces have not yet been found. I think it likely that they will be delivered to the Belgian government together with the Belgian Erasmus 2 euro coins, which have also not yet been found in circulation.

Angus

eurocoin

When these have finally turned up in circulation, you will read it here first. So far no finds have been reported yet. The Erasmus 2 euro coins of Belgium have also not yet been found in circulation. On Monday I am planning to do some coin roll hunting again, so maybe I will find one then.

Angus

eurocoin

Received a so-called waffle of uncirculated 5 cent coins Belgium 2022, but with old mintmastermark (packaging date 19 August 2022). We will have to wait a bit longer for the ones with the new mintmastermark to turn up.

Belgium 5 cent 2022 rolls - old mintmastermark.jpg

Angus

Is 'waffle' specifically for Belgian coins?!

eurocoin

First photo of the 5 euro cent Belgium 2022 with the new mintmastermark. As previously mentioned, this coin exists with both the old and new mintmastermark. The coins that depict the new mintmastermark were minted in 2023, though with the date 2022.

Belgium 5 cent 2022 New mintmark.jpg

Angus

Globetrotter

Hi,

Same question, how do you find one?

What is the mark presenting, a sunflower, an artichoke flower or what?

eurocoin

The mintmastermark of mintmaster Giovanni van de Velde is an aster flower with an erlenmeyer in the background. The flower is a reference to the son of the mintmaster who is named Aster. With the erlenmeyer, the mintmaster wanted to emphasize the importance of science in our society.

Few dealers seem to be aware of the existence of this variant, that has only just been released. So it is difficult to obtain it. This listing on a Belgian sales platform is the only option to buy one that I am aware of. That is also the only piece that I have so far seen.

Globetrotter

Thanks, the erlenmeyer I had not guessed at all, thought it was the stalk of the artichoke, which is an aster in the end ::)

Globetrotter