Author Topic: NL 2010: Multatuli's "Max Havelaar"  (Read 2735 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
NL 2010: Multatuli's "Max Havelaar"
« on: January 17, 2010, 11:00:24 PM »
150 years ago the Dutch writer "Multatuli" (Eduard Douwes Dekker) published his novel "Max Havelaar". On that occasion the Dutch Mint (KNM) will issue a collector coin this year, probably a €5 piece. There will be a "circulation quality" version, a silver proof coin, and a gold proof piece.

More about the author: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multatuli
About the book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Havelaar

(Can you tell I am browsing the WMF catalog? :) )

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: NL 2010: Multatuli's "Max Havelaar"
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 11:48:59 PM »
That's a worthy cause. EDD made a real contribution to culture and language. Now let's hope they do a good design. Mmm ... maybe Frizio could ...

Snapping back to reality.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »
Issue date is 17th May. There will be several versions:

• Circulation strike. No data available yet. Probably a silvered €5
  • Proof, silver €5, mintage 15 000, issue price €32,95
  • Proof, gold €10, mintage 5 500, issue price €277,95

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 05:22:30 PM »
The design, at least the "theme side", sure looks interesting. After all, it is not the birth/death anniversary of the author that is to be commemorated here but the anniversary of the book's first publication. The side depicting the queen ... well, hard to tell from the image whether I will like it or not. :)

Christian
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:51:55 PM by chrisild »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 12:17:04 PM »
My interpretation is "the stone disturbing the tranquility of the water", the small object, in this case the pen, having consequences far beyond its size. Max Havelaar was a wake-up call to the abuses in the Netherlands East Indies. Before, colonies were seen as projects that had to be commercially profitable (the Netherlands did not have the population pressure of France and England). The book showed that commercial pressure had led to abhorrent abuses, starvation and cruelty ("the tale of Saidjah and Adinda" is a prime example). Reforms of the cultivation system and the power structure made the colony unprofitable, paving the way for Indonesian independence.

A free English version of the book is available from Google books.

Peter

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »
Now that I have the coin (thanks to Peter), I had a closer look at the details. Very interesting: One side shows a quill pointing at the beginning of the novel; the other side shows a portrait of Queen Beatrix made from lots of little cubes and lines. Here is some info in English about the design:
http://dutchdfa.nl/news/detail/548/Max_Havelaar_Fiver

Here are the two obverses; the first one is the Queen on the "circulation" version, the second one is the obverse of the proof version:

And here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzqkiXH8TMM (in Dutch) about the coin. You see the author Harry Mulisch at the first strike ceremony, and a portrait of the designer Eelco Brand.

Christian
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:17:19 AM by Figleaf »

Offline Luis

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 09:01:58 AM »
Didn't learn much from the video (my Dutch is a little rusty), but I just recently got this coin and I think it's probably my favorite euro CC. The cubes and lines used for the protrait of the Queen are oriented in such a way as to create an hologram of sorts. Still, my favorite part is the cursive writing they represent.