News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Uzbekistan 100 Sum

Started by andyg, January 15, 2010, 07:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

These have recently appeared on the marked, dated 2009,
http://ciscoins.narod.ru/uz2009e.htm

Are they circulation coins or collector coins?

ciscoins

They are in circulation. In all the country. And 100 sum 2004 were in circulation only in one region, in Bukhara (I don't know why).
But the exchange rate is very small: they are equal to 0,07 USD (7 US cents). And the banknote of highest denomination - 1000 sum - is only 70 US cents. So... I don't know how they live there with such currency. I suppose that most of the big payments are being made in other currencies - US dollars, Russian roubles, etc.
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Figleaf

Thanks for the hint. I am meeting people from Uzbekistan this weekend. They have promised me a copy.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

ciscoins

Quote from: Figleaf on January 21, 2010, 10:24:59 PM
Thanks for the hint. I am meeting people from Uzbekistan this weekend.

Please ask them about 1 sum 2000 (KM#8; old type with cyrillic letters). I know only two collectors from Uzbekistan, and both of them have never seen such a coin and have never heard about it. But Uzbekistan is a country for which you can never know exactly if some coin exists or not (until you buy this coin and hold it in your hands).
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Figleaf

They are not collectors, so I don't think they will have noticed which dates exist, but I'll ask them.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

asm

I was in Taskent for around a week and tried to look for the coins. I almost begged for them from any one with whom I could converse properly. I managed 0ne 25 Sum,  two 50 Sum & two 100 Sum coins. The coins are so low valued that they just can not be used for any useful purpose. Most people I talked to did not know of the lower denominations existed.

I did however, pick up a few of the currency notes currently in circulation.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"