News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

UK: speculation about the 2023 Charles III regular circulation series

Started by <k>, November 25, 2022, 06:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan71

Unfortunately with not using cash anymore, I don't know what 2022 coins have circulated.  The Pride one definitely has, as much has been made of it being the last commemorative 50p with the Queen's portrait to enter circulation.

The recent £2 commemorative featuring the original Bruce Rushin technology design has been publicised by the Royal Mint as being the last commemorative £2 with the Queen's portrait to be produced.

As the yearly sets usually include two 50p and two £2 commemoratives, it's reasonable to assume that the 2023 sets will feature Charles.  When they will be issued is another matter.

2022-dated coins featuring the Queen will undoubtedly still be being put into circulation, and probably will do well into 2023.

<k>

Coincidentally, I got a Pride 50 pence in change at the Tesco local his morning. It's the first one I've had. The individual slogans are small and hard to read, but I was surprised to see one that says "PROTEST".

As for the 2 pound coin, I have never once seen the version with Britannia that was supposedly issued in 2015. Maybe it's hiding from me, because I once wrote a sarcastic piece about Britannia being non-British and non-existent.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

The first UK decimal series lacked a specific symbol for Northern Ireland. The second series, issued in 2008, lacked one for Wales.

So if the forthcoming series is heraldic or semi-heraldic, I expect Wales to be specifically catered for by a dragon - or maybe a daffodil. The leek is also a Welsh symbol, but it doesn't look great on a coin. King Charles was until recently Prince of Wales, so I would expect him to pay close attention to a symbol for Wales. Prince William is the new Prince of Wales.

If the forthcoming series is figurative / thematic, I would expect architecture and / or landmarks as the theme.

Interestingly, the King is also now the Duke of Edinburgh. He took the title upon gaining the throne. Originally it was going to be passed to Prince Edward. However, it is apparently the King's intention to slim down the monarchy, so there will not be so many titles handed out to different royal family members in future.

<k>

From:  The Royal Mint to introduce new design on standard 1 pound coin.

Quote from: eurocoin on May 10, 2022, 10:45:25 PMEarly 2023, the Royal Mint will introduce a new design on its standard circulating 1 pound coin. This year was chosen to mark the 40th anniversary of the modern £1. The coin will feature a design by Kenyan artist Michael Armitage. It will be minted for general circulation. Master of the Mint Rishi Sunak announced that Mr Armitage's new design will celebrate the culture, creativity, heritage and history of the UK in the 21st century.

Quote from: eurocoin on September 22, 2022, 06:42:38 PMA shortlist of potential artists was prepared in consultation with HM Treasury, having particular regard to artistic merit and ideas of the artists. From there, three artists were invited into the competition process with two artists ultimately presenting their proposals to an independent selection panel comprising of a HMT official, the Chair of the Royal Mint Advisory Committee, Director of the Government Art Collection and the Director of the Royal Mint Museum. Michael Armitage was chosen by the former Chancellor, Rishi Sunak MP, based on the advice of the independent panel. In terms of who will model the coin, the artist will work with Gordon Summers, the Royal Mint's Chief Engraver.     

With the accession of King Charles III, we are currently reviewing the timing of upcoming coins.

So I am guessing that this new reverse design did not go into production while QEII was still alive. It will have not have been necessary, therefore, to develop a new pound coin reverse design specifically as part of a new set of reverse designs for the new king. Quite a coincidence, then, that this planned new reverse will appear on a coin of the new reign.

<k>

<k>

UK 2 pounds 2023.jpg

UK, 2 pounds, 2023.  Image © Royal Mint.

That series has not yet been released.

However, we have seen some of the portraits from the commemorative coins.

<k>

UK, 50 pence, 2023.   Image © Royal Mint.

Portrait of King Charles III.

<k>

CHARLES III · D · G · REX · F · D ·

Will the King's abbreviated title always be featured as above, even on commemorative coins?

Or will we see variations, such as during QEII's reign?

DEI · GRA · FID · DEF was used often enough.

The positions of the abbreviations varied too on special coins.

Sometimes they were shown on the left of the coin's obverse, sometimes on the right.

<k>

UK 50p  2022.jpg

uk 50p 2023 generations.jpg

Images © Royal Mint.

Will the year appear in a uniform position on the regular circulation coins?

Do the commemorative coins give us a clue?

<k>

UK 50p 2023-shield.jpg

Image © Royal Mint / Coin Hunter.

See also: Coin Hunter

A Brilliant Uncirculated condition Charles III 2023 50p Royal Shield is worth about £9.

Deeman

<k>

Quote from: Deeman on December 31, 2022, 12:23:03 PMUnusual orientation of the bust on the 50p shield.

True. I wonder if it is actually an image of the real or expected coin.

Moreover, I do not expect that the coins of Charles III will retain the existing reverse designs: shield / jigsaw.

Alan71

That 50p shield is a mock design isn't it?  The inscription is copied from the design from the Jody Clark portrait and then modified for Charles.  Also, does his head look slightly narrower or is it an optical illusion?

There's been no mention of a change of standard designs so I think we're stuck with the shield unfortunately, at least for now.

<k>

Quote from: Alan71 on December 31, 2022, 12:54:05 PMThat 50p shield is a mock design isn't it?

It does look like a mockup.

Quote from: Alan71 on December 31, 2022, 12:54:05 PMThere's been no mention of a change of standard designs so I think we're stuck with the shield unfortunately, at least for now.

Could be, but I am adamant that we will eventually see new reverse designs. It has been a tradition for each new reign.

Offa

Quote from: <k> on December 31, 2022, 02:05:56 PMIt does look like a mockup.

Could be, but I am adamant that we will eventually see new reverse designs. It has been a tradition for each new reign.

I hope so the shield has become quite boring now
All coins are equal but some are more equal than others