Checklist of regular African coins for 1991 and afterwards...

Started by africancoins, August 05, 2022, 09:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

africancoins

I have now added something new to my "All Around Africa" pages:- "Checklist of regular African coins for 1991 and afterwards".

A "checklist" rather than a "catalogue", of the more recent coins of Africa, many of which are encountered on the main coin pages of "All Around Africa".

The index to these new pages is to be found at:-

http://africa.worldofcoins.eu/afl-indx.html

My definition of "regular coins" is likely at least similar to that of many members and readers of World of Coins.

Where I have come across uncertainty of the existence and general availability of certain pieces, Ucoin, Ebay, Numista, the usual books etc.. have obviously been helpful, though often more so in combination.

Where a certain page/person has pointed me to something that I doubt I would otherwise have been aware of then credit has been given – see such as the Lesotho page.

For each place I have included, there is a list by date and a list of the types. The date-wise lists have a little functionality, this requires JavaScript to be enabled. A sort can be done on either of the two columns with underlined headings in the date-wise lists. Content of the "Denomination" or the "Type No." column can be selected (one at once).

The list of types includes a "Series Comment" for each type/subtype. This acts in part as an explanation for the sub-type numbering. In a number of cases I have offered suggestions of "KM" type numbering that would perhaps be more suitable to that currently used.

Up to now there are 14 places (Botswana, Burundi, Cape Verde, Djibouti, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia). I have made various notes for a lot of the information that will be required for lists for further African places.

Any comments ?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Figleaf

Congratulations, Paul. I sense a lot of work has been done here, both programming and research. I hope people will find your effort useful.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

Great to see this. The information is clearly of high quality.

africancoins

Glad you like it.

Yes, it would have been quicker and easier to find some sort of list and sort of copy it... But I thought of some other way to have the lists, carefully checked what I did and did not believe in the various sources (with their sometimes differing opinions) and kept each "place" on one page.

It was about time I did something new for my Africa info. The other day I noticed how quite an amount of the information there was done more than 20 years ago... It is a few years since I made any changes to it.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

africancoins

The lists now also include... Gambia, Ghana, Madagascar, Swaziland (now Eswatini) and Zimbabwe.

http://africa.worldofcoins.eu/afl-indx.html

Thanks Mr Paul Baker