News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Qajar, Nasir al-Din, hammered qiran with lion and sun, KM#845.3

Started by maudry, June 29, 2022, 10:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maudry

I have difficulties to decide which variety it is.
KM#845.1 845.2 or 845.3
It looks either to be double stuck or struck over an older qiran.
I am in favour of the second option but not sure.
Weight: 4.75gr
Size: 20mm

Manzikert

In my Krause the three types are 845.1, 2 and 3.

I think yours is 845.3 (945.3 in your numbering).

On 845.2 the bottom line of the reverse legend touches the beaded circle, and on 845.1 the crowns are small.

Yours has a larger crown and there is space between the lower line of the legend and the beaded circle.

Alan

aws22

Thank you Alan, for the coin ID:
Dear maudry, your coin details:
Qajar, Nasir al-Din Shah, AH 1286, Silver Kran, Tehran mint (AH 1264-1314/1848-1896 AD)
Reverse (Left photo): Crown above lion and sun within wreath, date below lion " 12 ۱۲ " on left and " 86 ۸۶ " on right side. Value " Karn قران " below.
Obverse (Right photo): the Farsi legend:
"السلطان ابن السلطان ناصرالدین شاه قاجار ", al-Sultan Ibn al-Sultan Nasir al-Din Shah Qajar, in thin circle and wreath.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

maudry

Thank you for your identification Alan.
I have put the wrong number in the header and copied it all over my post. I have corrected now.

Thank you for the coin detail Maythem. Always fascinating to read.
The year however cannot be 1286 as these types have only been minted in 1295 and 1296.

aws22

Thank you maudry, as you see in the attachment, it is " 86 ۸۶ ", may be I am reading the wrong digits and it could be a word.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Manzikert

Tt looks to have been overstruck on an earlier issue, so perhaps the date digits are from the undertype.

Alan