News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Iranian civic copper coin of Kashan / peacock to left, dated 1097AH

Started by Darioelle, June 03, 2022, 05:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darioelle

Hi All,

here you have a falus Iranian civic copper coin from Kashan mint.

10,26 g and 25 mm

Could someone tell me a reference number to classify it correctly?
Thank you!

Kashan.jpg
Kashanbis.jpg

Darioelle

Sorry I have just seen that a better place for the thread could be:

Modern Asia Coins/Iran and Afghanistan/Civic Issues,

maybe a moderator could move it to the correct section if necessary?

Thank you all.

Manzikert

Valentine 35, p.133. His is undated, but yours seems to be dated 1097 (if I'm right that the last digit is a '7'), 1686.

Alan

saro

Thank you Alan for the Valentine ref. :no date visible but could be off or erased?
It's also the coin n° 167 of "Shah of Persia" / Stuart Poole, (in poor grade).
The date is a little puzzling : it indeed looks like 1097, but there is something over the  "7"
hereafter 2 ex with date at bottom.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

saro

I thought it was another digit but it's rather a rosette as ornament as see on other parts of the coin.
The date is well 1097 I think  :)
 kashan 109.jpg
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Darioelle

Hi All,
thank you very much for your replies. I will put in my database both your references. As regards last message from Figleaf does he mean to put these pictures in Numista and zeno ru database?
If yes I suppose I could be able with Numista if it includes the coins in its database while I cannot use zeno site easily and I can't login on it unfortunately :-[

Figleaf

Quote from: Darioelle on June 05, 2022, 10:21:44 PMAs regards last message from Figleaf does he mean to put these pictures in Numista and zeno ru database?
If yes I suppose I could be able with Numista if it includes the coins in its database while I cannot use zeno site easily and I can't login on it unfortunately

The cross references to Numista and Zeno will eventually work three ways. Users of each of the three sites will immediately know if a coin is present on the other two sites also and they can look them up easily, which is adding interest to the thread for later users. You don't need to log in to Zeno.

The three sites are different. Numista (global) is a catalogue site (one picture per type), Zeno (oriental numismatics) is a data base site (all coins in its scope are welcome) and WoC (global) is a discussion site (background information and lateral thinking are important). On a catalogue site you find consistently the same information. A data base may give you a number of specimen, so if your coin is worn or too small for the die, you can reconstruct it. A discussion site may provide information or connections you hadn't thought of.

Looking up the cross references is also a useful exercise. It gives you a feeling of what similar coins exist and what they look like. Your coin may be highly similar or quite different or it may fit in a specific design type set. In addition, if a coin is not present in the other two sites, it may be scarce.

The three sites are still in the process of setting up something regular. On WoC, we are furthest advanced. The system ought to be that the owner of the coin looks up the cross references. If he doesn't, moderators prod and help him. In the final instance, I add the cross references. Some people especially newbies, but also people who never used Zeno or Numista, still don't provide the cross references, even though they are in their own interest. I expect this to improve in time.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Darioelle

Hi Peter,
looking at Shahi period in Numista I found some civic issues but nothing that looks like my coin, so no references there. I will try to look on zeno Ru but I am afraid I won't be able in finding anything there either.

Figleaf

In many cases, including this one, negative information is also information. I am sure the site owners of Zeno and Numista like to know this type exists and is not covered by their site and it's discussed on WoC. Also, if neither has it, that's information for the owner.

If it's not covered by Zeno and within the scope of that site, note it as Zeno --, please. Likewise for Numista.

Peter