News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Bahmani precursors Nasir Al-din Ismail Shah (1346-47 AD), Jital , Rare with Overlay

Started by sarwar khan, January 06, 2022, 02:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarwar khan

The policies of Muhammad Bin Tughlaq Sultan of Delhi resulted in dissatisfaction and unrest among the nobles and provincial governors (Amiran-e-Sadah) and turmoil become
order of the day. Consequently, there were several revolts in various parts of India, including the Deccan, which formed part of the Tughlaq empire, with its second capital at Devagiri Daulatabad in 1327 A.D. Muhammad Bin Tughlaq mad Daulatabad the second seat of his empire. The sultan was constantly on the march from Daulatabad and Delhi and vise-versa.There were insurrections all over the Tughlaq Empire and the turn of the Deccan proper came in 1336-37 A.D. when Shihab-i-Sultani Nusrat Khan, Governor of Bidar, proclaimed himself sultan. It was an abortive attempt as he was defeated by the governor of Daulatabad, Qutlugh Khan. The next insurrection in the Deccan was the rebellion of Ali Shah, who proclaimed himself sultan at Dharur with the title of Alauddin Ali Shah. He even issued copper coins in his name as "Ali Shah Sultan".

In 1345-46 A.D. a group of leading nobles, Amiran-i-Sadah, who were practically
autonomous in their own jurisdiction carried out a successful revolution and created an
independent kingdom in the Deccan in 1345-46 A.D. They elected one of their own member,
Ismail Mukh as the first independent Sultan of the Deccan.

On September, 1346 A.D. Ismail Mukh became Sultan under the title "Abul Fateh Nasiruddin Ismail Mukh". Under this title coins were also issued. According to Futuh-us-Salatin of Moulana Isami, when the crown was offered to Ismail, he first refused, declaring that Hasan should be raised to the throne as "apart from his widespread jagirs, he was of the progeny of Bahman himself". But as Hasan was busy elsewhere and as the enemy had to be face immediately, that Ismail was made the sultan. He gave Nasiruddin the title of Khwajah Jahan and bestowed on Hasan the title of Zafar Khan and Amir-ul-Umara.

Muhammad bin Tughluq was not prepared to accept the revolt in the Deccan as a fait-accompli. He sent his army against Ismai'ils forces and managed to gain a victory, retaking Daulatabad in the process. Ismail and his generals retreated to safe havens. Muhammad had to depart for Gujarat because of a serious insurrection there, leaving others to prosecute his campaign in the Deccan. Ismail was unable to move, but Zafar Khan bided his time  and soon took on the imperial army and defeated it. This left the ground clear and he was elected king by the army and the people. It was the end of Tughluqid rule in the Deccan.

Details about the Coin :-
Sultan :- Nasir Al-din Ismail Shah (1346-47 AD).
Denomination :- Jital ?

Obv:- Nasir al- dunya wa'l din
Rev: Abu'l fath Ismail Shah
Condition : Superb
Minted May be at Fathabad (Daulatabad)
Rare coin with Full legend .
Reference :-G&G#BH4

Sent from my M2007J17I using Tapatalk

THCoins

Nice specimen of a rare type, witness an interesting period in history !
In the Goron and Goenka catalog it is interesting to read that they have some difficulty assigning a denomination to the coin, hence the "Jital?". Looking at your coin it also is difficult to judge whether the metal would be classified as billon. The surface corrosion also might suggest it has a fairly high iron content.

RG

A recent addition to my collection.

Precursor of Bahmani Sultanate's,                               
Nasir al-Din Ismail Shah - ناصر الدین اسمعیل شاہ
AH: 746-748/ AD : 1346-1347
Copper Falus Jital ? Wt : 3.58gms, G&G_BH4       
السلطان الاعظم ناصر الدنیا والدین ابو الفتح اسمعیل شاہ               
Mint : Fathabad_Daultatabad_ فتحاباد- دولتاباد
about fine condition.
Picture and description courtesy to seller.
Numista:--

Figleaf

Superb addition, RG. It looks as struck. Thanks especially for the transcription.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

RG

Have added my specimen to NUmista catalogue and it was validated.
Adding reference here.
Numista -- N#380155