Author Topic: British Occupation of Afghanistan  (Read 3932 times)

BC Numismatics

British Occupation of Afghanistan
« on: July 14, 2007, 03:20:39 AM »
Richie,what do the coins of the British Occupation of Afghanistan look like? They'd be of interest to British Commonwealth numismatists like myself.

Aidan.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Re: British Occupation of Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 05:21:14 PM »
Aidan,
I wish that I had one to show you!  I'm not sure using images from the world catalog of coins, 1801 - 1900, is completely Kosher, but for the benifit of numismatics, here it is.
richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 09:45:39 AM »
I asked my daughter who is an international lawyer, which legal regime would apply. She couldn't give an unambiguous answer, but MY interpretation was that Dutch and EU law applies (that's where the software and the site owners are) but don't ask a US judge. :-X

Assuming Dutch law applies, the catalog is protected from copying in principle, but the law makes an exception for limited copies for "fair use". Your picture is certainly fair use, it is a part of one page of a book that counts hundreds of pages. I think it is also limited, because only registered members can see copies. So my conclusion is that you have stayed far within the bounderies of Dutch/EU law.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 08:28:20 PM »
Thanks Peter. 
From my days of thesis writing, I suspect US law is similar.  There might be a distinction between academic us of images and for profit use of images.  Strictly speaking, if I posted the images in a selling or trade forum without permission of the publisher, I might be in violation of the law.  At least that's my guess. 

Aidan, you asked an interesting question.  What was the copper denomination called? 
1.  Afghans called hammered coinage "falus" when Persia was in ascendance.
2.  "falus" is a Persian or farsi term for copper.
3.  "Rupee" is of Sanskrit origin, I believe, from the word for silver.  Subdivisions of a rupee have many terms including pice or paisa.  Rupees and paisa were the terms in use in Afghanistan before 1930.  But when did that begin? In the 1830's, large denominations were called Rupee and small coppers were called Falus, at least in the Catalog of World Coins.
4.  There are numerous languages in use in Afghanistan belonging to numerous language families.  What would each use for the smallest of denomination?
5.  When the British occupied Afghanistan, might they have placed there own name for the copper denomination from their experience in India and called it a paisa?

Richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 08:51:40 PM »
I checked Kipling, but he mentions only rupees and annas in parts of the story still, or again set in India. Falus seems likely, though, in view of the Persian influence on Afghanistan.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 07:52:37 PM »
Well, I feel very lucky today. 
I had wanted to view a good speciman from the British Occupation and HERE it IS!

Oesho wrote: Herewith an example of a falus struck during the the British
Occupation of Qandahar 1878-79.
This specimen shows a fair part of the date AH129(6), only the last digit is
missing.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 07:57:15 PM »
After looking for a while, I finally saw the crown!!! My first inclination was to turn the obverse upside down and attempt to read it.  I didn't get far. 
What a great coin with an interesting history. Thanks so much for providing us a view of it.  I'm afraid the catalog's images are lacking, specially for the occupational period. 

Ricihie

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 02:12:49 AM »
I got around to taking pictures of my examples of this and searched for this old thread. Please let me know what you think of these.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 07:14:35 PM »
That's the stuff of dreams, repindia. As Richie says upthread, catalogue pictures do not convey a good sense of these historic documents. If you haven't read "The Man who would be King" yet, I encourage you to do so with these coins somewhere near by. At some point, the coins will start talking to you... ;)

Peter

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »
Great coins! A pleasure to see them! Many thanks!

akona20

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 09:30:07 PM »
There is a theory that the final occupation of Afghanistan by the British (The First Afgha War was one of the great disaster in British military history) and the recoinage that occurred under British direction totally impoverished Afghanistan and from this it has never recovered.

Online maudry

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 10:09:25 PM »
Here is my coin from the British Occupation.
It has definately been struck from the same pair of dies as the one presented by Rangnath.
Size: 18X21mm
Weight: 4.27gr

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 10:31:47 PM »
Superb, Maudry. Thank you. That crown in a devout and fiercely independent country speaks volumes, even today. Woe to those who do not take into account that Afghani independence takes precedence over all other Afghani interests.

Peter

Online maudry

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 11:46:22 PM »
As my coin is of the same dies, I have decided to make an overlay to get more of the legend.
Would unfortunately need at least one more coin to have a full legend.